• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missing Trust Page

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hcbyp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV

In 2004, I was notified that I was the Executor of my mothers established Living Trust; however, I have recently discovered that the beneficiary page of the document is missing. One problem I have is she was recently diagnosed with Alzheimers, so memory for her has been on the decline. Every page is present and accounted for but that one page. What should I do? Since it is a Trust, it is not filed with the state. We have looked through all of her documentation and can not find the original documents; I only have a copy and that page is missing. Do I have any options due to that page being missing?

curb1

Where is the attorney who authored the trust? Was the trust recorded at the courthouse (some are, and some aren't). Sometimes the original is kept at the attorney's office.

Also, you are the "trustee" of the trust, not "executor".

TrustUser

you might want to check the places where she has assets to find if they have a full copy.

the grantor often gives them full information EXCEPT the beneficiary info.

sometimes just a few sheets of the trust that pertain to that particular business.

but you never know - you may get lucky and have one of the institutions with a full copy.

Dandy Don

Is it possible that someone else (a family member or anyone else) got access to the document and deliberately destroyed that page? Consult a trust attorney immediately to figure out your options and to determine whether the trust can even still be valid.

TrustUser

deliberate destruction was one of the first things that came to mind. but i did not want to mention it, until op said something about one of the kids being disinherited.

that is about the only reason i can think of for deliberate destruction - if the trust did not distribute equally to the natural heirs.

i am curious myself what happens when a beneficiary page is missing. i dont see how a trustee can make any assumption as to who the beneficiaries should be. i am guessing at this point, it would need to be submitted to probate.

and quite frankly, i dont see what options a judge has, other than to distribute according to that state's intestate rules.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">