• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MOCK murder trail

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

txstudent16

Im from Texas and we have a mock murder trail in debate class. Im the prosecuting atterney, but I have no idea where to start!!! Could someone please help me get the ball rolling on this case???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

txstudent16 said:

Im from Texas and we have a mock murder trail in debate class. Im the prosecuting atterney, but I have no idea where to start!!! Could someone please help me get the ball rolling on this case???

My response:

You've got to be kidding, right? In murder trials there could be any number of "starting points" - - depending upon the facts and issues, and the evidence gathered prior to trial.

Do you mean to say that no one prepared you for what you needed to know? Or were you absent when instructions were given?

Are you saying that, one day, you woke up and found yourself appointed as the "prosecutor" of this mock trial ?

Watch "the Practice".

IAAL

T

txstudent16

I didn't ask to be prosecutor..... I was named prosecutor by my teacher because I seem to have very good examination skills. I thought it would be fun!!!! All I wanted to find out was how to prepare for something like this. I have evidence, some testomony, ect. Could you just please help me!!!!!!!

TYRIS

what is the scenerio of the trial? you have to tell us something about it before someone can tell you how to proceed.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

TYRIS said:
what is the scenerio of the trial? you have to tell us something about it before someone can tell you how to proceed.
My response:

That's what I said in the first paragraph of my initial post - - but, our "prosecutor" isn't reading or understanding, or both.

Rather, our prosecutor is "freaking out" that tomorrow is Monday, and the first date of trial, and is not prepared.

IAAL

T

txstudent16

The trial in about a man who was killed with an ax. In his pocket there was a note. We did an experiment to see who might have written the note. There were also finger prints and shoe prints on the scene. There are three suspects. The trail date has not even been established so I still have at LEAST two weeks to prepare. Im only sixteen!!!!!! This is for learning purposes!!!!

H

Humble Warrior

Begin by matching the prints and shoe prints to your suspects. This will most likely elimenate two of them(pay attention to detail) Then get statements from all of them as to where,when,what or why they should be discounted,and validate their stories(confirm with a witness that says the same thing "Yes....Suzy was with me at the movies")
This will also eliminate suspects.
After this process of elimination,you need to further eliminate by matching the evidence you have to a particular person. If you cannot definatley make a conclusive match,you have no case.
Once you have a firm match of evidence to person,you need to see if the person will confess,by offering a deal (less time in jail). If they wont confess to the allegations,you go to trial,and make pointed remarks and Q's regarding why there is no other person that could have commited this "crime"
Think of the process in simple terms:
Billy had cherry gum in his locker,it was broken into,and the gum was missing(Q: was the door broken? Could Bobby be lieing?) Mike has Cherry Gum. He was not in class at **** time...he had a hall pass. He knows how to open lockers,he opens them for friends all the time.
He asked for a peice of gum earlier(so now you know he didnt have any before),but now he has the EXACT flavor and brand that was stolen. this is all "circumstantial" evidence (not good enough for a hard conviction).
A 7th grader told the principal he SAW someone opening the locker.....now enters the "line-up".
The 7th grader ID's Mike. Now get a story from Mike. Who,what,when,where,why? See if he will confess if you promise not to tell his parents.
He wont confess.....you go to the principle(AKA The Judge) and ask for the most severe punishment possible,based on the evidence you have presented.

Did all that help? I hope so....my fingers are sore!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">