• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom signed on with modeling agency w/out my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

txdadof2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Just found out today when "portfolio pics" was sent to me via email. I have 50/50 joint decision making. I was not asked or even aware that mother was looking into getting daughter involved in modeling. I am not sure if she has signed w/ an agency yet. Can she legally do that w/o my permission? If I disagree w/ daughter doing modeling can she be held in contempt? Truly, I do not want daughter getting involved in this industry.

I responded to email with "I was unaware you were wanting to do this, have you sent portfolio to any agencies yet?" In which she responded yes she had--w/ou consulting with me first!

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Just found out today when "portfolio pics" was sent to me via email. I have 50/50 joint decision making. I was not asked or even aware that mother was looking into getting daughter involved in modeling. I am not sure if she has signed w/ an agency yet. Can she legally do that w/o my permission? If I disagree w/ daughter doing modeling can she be held in contempt? Truly, I do not want daughter getting involved in this industry.

Yes, she can.

No she's not in contempt.

Proserpina

and HOW?! My daughters face could be printed all over some publication and I have no say?

You don't have to like it - but you also have the ability to NOT allow her to do shoots during your parenting time, and the ability to express your displeasure.

But really, only one parent's permission is required. It's not unlike you signing kiddo up for soccer during your time or having her join drama classes during your time.

I understand your point of view - oh believe me I do! - but really, you've also got to ask yourself if this is the hill upon which you want to die.

LillianX

She very well MAY need your permission to sign a contract on behalf of your daughter with an agency, depending on the wording of your court order, but she does not need your permission to have photos taken and to send them to an agency.

How old is your daughter?

txdadof2

Daughter is 8. That is my issue. Can she sign contract for an agencies representation w/o my approval? Even is she does just do the modeling during moms time? Surely she cannot sign a modeling contract w/out the other party's APPROVAL? We have JOINT LEGAL DECISION MAKING.

There is no comparison between soccer and modeling. I feel in a sense with modeling that my child is being exploited, where who knows what is looking at her photos. In soccer she is simply running across a field kicking a ball. big difference.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
She very well MAY need your permission to sign a contract on behalf of your daughter with an agency, depending on the wording of your court order, but she does not need your permission to have photos taken and to send them to an agency.

How old is your daughter?
Lil -
Our OP would have mentioned if a clause such as that was included in the order. He's here because he's mad that it's NOT specified in the CO.

OHRoadwarrior

I would consider the type of modeling, when determining if it is worth trying to fight. What does the order specifically say regarding this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There is no comparison between soccer and modeling. I feel in a sense with modeling that my child is being exploited, where who knows what is looking at her photos. In soccer she is simply running across a field kicking a ball. big difference.
Strange, I've seen plenty of seedy looking characters ogling the kids at soccer games... :rolleyes:

Proserpina

Daughter is 8. That is my issue. Can she sign contract for an agencies representation w/o my approval? Even is she does just do the modeling during moms time? Surely she cannot sign a modeling contract w/out the other party's APPROVAL? We have JOINT LEGAL DECISION MAKING.

You don't understand what joint legal decision making is.

It doesn't mean you need to agree on every single decision. It means that you each have the ability to make decisions about the day-to-day care of your daughter.

How you "feel" isn't important, Dad.

The VAST majority of child modeling agencies don't require permission from both parents. I DO know this, Dad since I have a gd who has been signed up since the age of 2.

Okay dad, I have a question for you...

If a news photographer were to take a picture of your child playing soccer because she got a goal, or blocked a goal, or whatever... Would you be against it being printed for all eyes to see?

txdadof2

Okay dad, I have a question for you...

If a news photographer were to take a picture of your child playing soccer because she got a goal, or blocked a goal, or whatever... Would you be against it being printed for all eyes to see?
This is a contract we are talking about. A change in lifestyle. I dont need my daughter flying off to here or there to do shoots, etc if she so happens to hit it big. This is a big deal in my book. And I am upset that I was not consulted with prior to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">