• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom's ex-bf won't give her kiddos belongings

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AkersTile

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

I am asking this for my Hubby's ex-wife. She doesn't have internet at the moment so I told her I'd see what I could find out.
She moved out of ex-bf's house Sunday. He will not give her the rest of her's and the kiddo's (her and Hubby's kiddo's, not his) belongings. Its most of the toys and clothes that she had bought for them to have when they visited her. Her and I got some stuff out on Suday while the police were there, but we couldn't fit everything in my truck and the police wouldn't wait for us to unload and come back to get more.
Is there anything she can do to get their things back? File something with the courts or anything?
Thanks for the advice!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I am asking this for my Hubby's ex-wife. She doesn't have internet at the moment so I told her I'd see what I could find out.
She moved out of ex-bf's house Sunday. He will not give her the rest of her's and the kiddo's (her and Hubby's kiddo's, not his) belongings. Its most of the toys and clothes that she had bought for them to have when they visited her. Her and I got some stuff out on Suday while the police were there, but we couldn't fit everything in my truck and the police wouldn't wait for us to unload and come back to get more.
Is there anything she can do to get their things back? File something with the courts or anything?
Thanks for the advice!
Small claims court. Amazing that the two of you are getting along considering when she posted her she acted like a loon.

mistoffolees

Small claims court. Amazing that the two of you are getting along considering when she posted her she acted like a loon.
Or ask the police again. They weren't willing to wait for OP to unload everything and come back for another trip, but that doesn't mean they won't go back a second time just for long enough to load up the truck.

LdiJ

Thanks for the advice!
She could file a case in small claim's court.

AkersTile

Thanks. I will tell her to do that.
Yeah it is amazing. I guess we have all grown up a lot and realized that our (the adults) fighting was accomplishing nothing and making everything harder for the kiddos. The funny part is, Hubby and I talked about this whole situation, and neither one of us wants his lawyer to try to use it against Mom. We both feel that while it is a set back for her (having to get a new place, car, etc.), it is also showing their daughters that you do not put up with being treated they way ex-bf was treating Mom.
Mom and I were talking last night and she said even if she never gets the stuff back, at least she knows that when the kiddos are with her, they will be safe.

AkersTile

Or ask the police again. They weren't willing to wait for OP to unload everything and come back for another trip, but that doesn't mean they won't go back a second time just for long enough to load up the truck.
That's definitely worth a shot. The worse they can say is No. Hopefully, they say yes and we can get the rest this weekend.

AkersTile

Thank you everyone for the advice! Hopefully Mom can get it all back. If not, I guess ex-bf can have fun wearing some girls clothes and playing with their toys :rolleyes:
Hope you all have a very Merry Christmas! (or whatever holiday you celebrate) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">