• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Funneled into City's Account, after Nolle Prosq. Case...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

urkuh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MD.

Hello, once again, guys:)
I had another post, regarding my sister & her laptop, in which the officer's wouldn't contact us back, to sign the paper to get it out of evidence control. Well, that has been solved. But now, their's another isssue...

My sister was originally told she'd be given back her $150 in cash, which was on her when she was arrested. But since it ultimately took 6 months, to get all her evidence (her laptop, mainly), when she went to get it, they said the cash had been funneled into the city's account, because "she" took to long to get it. (in reality, the damn officer took to long to get back to her) The nice supervising Lt. who called my mother to check if the officer called to inform my sister that the laptop was ready, provided her with a number, to the legal affairs to the department.

Since, my sister greatly appreciated the help that was given here, she wanted some background info before we even start with all that crap...
She does have a lawyer, sorta... (He was her lawyer for the case, & we've been talking with him, for all the evidence retrieval stuff, but we're not on a payment plan kind thing, until we need him. He's mainly there to talk & stuff)

My sister wanted some information basically from other officers & people who have dealt with this sorta thing.

So, since the case was "nolle prosque" or however you spell it, because a) it was a wrongful arrest & b) not "enough" evidence;
-is their some sort of statue of limitations on retrieving the money?
-of course this may be a stupid question, but she wanted it answered...Can they even do this, if they aren't even letting her get her evidence, because the officer wouldn't sign the evidence out... ?
-other then a bunch of paperwork to fill out, is their anything else my sister, will need to know? or anything?

By the way, she had the money on her, because she was just paid from doing a photography session. So, she doesn't really any paperwork from the bank, or so forth...

Any information or advice, other then to ask her lawyer (we already did this, but she's seeking ADDITIONAL advice), would be GREATLY appreciated... Especially, if anybody here is a cop, lawyer, or has dealt with this sorta thing.
Thanks guys; She TRUELY appreciates it:)

<3
Urkuh & sis!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">