• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Was Left For Me From Another Country

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

throne42

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL An attorney from the netherlands contacted me regarding someone there that has left me an inheritance which is money. He told me to contact the bank and talk to them about retaining the funds. I did so and they said by law in their country if the money is going to someone that does not live in there country they have to charge a activation fee so that i can access the account. The fee that they are talking about is $2,700.00 dollars. From country to country do they charge fees are they surpose to charge you a fee for being a non resident for an inheritance. They said they would set me up with pin number to access the account and that they deal with citibank here in america. I told them i do not have that kind of money so they brought in a investor from and he said that he would pay the fee. He said that the account was appoved and ask me for my full name and address and telephone number so he can send me a check. How does all this sound could this be true and is it legal about the charge. also before i forget the attorney for the deceased is charging me %5 percent I guess this for drawing up the paper work. And he mention words like demmurrage and sundry what do these words mean. When an attorney is handle a case for you can you ask him for account of everything he as done for you so far and do they have to give it to you. thank you waiting for a response.

Last edited:

Ron1347

Is this just some kind of notice you received in the mail? Is it a 'relative' who supposedly died and left you the money? Do you personally know of the person who supposedly died and left you the money? Did they give you the 'name' of that person, and have you verified that this person does exist and is really related to you?

Sounds like to me it could possibly be like one of those scams you get in your e-mails all the time, similar to someone wanting you to 'pay money' to put assets in 'your' name, and bring them to the U.S. and supposedly give you a portion of it for doing the favor. But, 'you' must pay stuff up front 'first'! Sounds almost to be the same scam, but just with a different twist.

Dandy Don

This is a SCAM! Do not have any further contact with these people.

Do you even know anyone in the Netherlands who would have left you something from their estate? If they can't give you the name of the person who died and the city state where they died, then that should tell you something.

A legitimate attorney does not ask for activation fees--his fee is paid by the probate court.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">