• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage on house in spouse's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NY Divorce

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My husband and I have been married for almost 22 years. Ten years ago we bought a home. He holds the mortgage on the house because my credit wasn't very good at the time. We both pay on the mortgage and he now wants a divorce because he is having an affair. He wants me out of HIS house, do I legally have the right to reside there?

My question is: What are my options?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My husband and I have been married for almost 22 years. Ten years ago we bought a home. He holds the mortgage on the house because my credit wasn't very good at the time. We both pay on the mortgage and he now wants a divorce because he is having an affair. He wants me out of HIS house, do I legally have the right to reside there?

My question is: What are my options?
Does anybody search for answers before asking?

This question is asked and answered at least half a dozen times a week. It's your house. He can't throw you out, but he can go to court and ask for possession of the house. You can do the same thing if you can afford it.

The home equity will be split, either way.

NY Divorce

The mortgage and loan is in his name only. He believes he can legally throw me out of the house because he holds the deed. Is there any truth to this? I can go to court and ask for possession of a house that is not in my name?

mistoffolees

The mortgage and loan is in his name only. He believes he can legally throw me out of the house because he holds the deed. Is there any truth to this? I can go to court and ask for possession of a house that is not in my name?
NO, HE CAN NOT THROW YOU OUT WITH A COURT ORDER. It doesn't matter if it's in his name, your name, or Mickey Mouse's name. It's the marital residence and he can not legally throw you out.

He can, however, file for divorce and get a court order for temporary possession of the home - in which case you have to move out.

You could, in principle, do the same. However, if the mortgage and deed are in his name, it is far less likely that you'd win.

Given the circumstances, plan to move out, but not if there are minor children involved. In that case, talk with an attorney before doing anything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">