• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mothers Neglect and possible abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

desireeBro202

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have a 7yr old step daughter who we get every other weekend, holidays and for the summer. Last time we were supposed to pick her up my mother in-law wanted to get her but when she went to pick her up she wasn't there so we called her mother and she told us that my step daughter had gotten hurt on the play ground at school and was at the hospital. So we assumed that was what happened but when my husband asked to come see her she made up an excuse for him not to come. So he talked to his daughter over the phone and asked her how she was after a long pause she said ok and changed the subject.

So we got her this following weekend and asked her how she was feeling and she started to cry. So I sat down with her and asked what happened and she told me that she did not get hurt her mommy just didn't want her to come to our house and she didn't know why her mommy had told the story of her being hurt. The next day I was getting ready to brush her hair out and she just started crying and asking if she could stay with us and visit her mom on the weekends, when I asked her why she told me crying that her mommy hits her for no reason. I said are you sure that it is not because you did something wrong and she started to cry even harder and told me that if she spills something or doesn't do something fast enough then her mommy hits her. I told my husband what was happening and he said that because of him being tied up in court with so many issues such as child support and visitation that he didn't know what to do.

I am scared to have him say anything to the mother and then have her take it out on my step daughter but I can't just let this go. My step daughter has never said that she wanted to live with us ever before so it makes me look at it a little more seriously when she knows that she won't see her mom everyday and wants it that way.

Should I call CPS in the county that she lives in or what can I do. I feel like I am so helpless and I really can't stand to see her in pain anymore.

Thank you I know this is long but I really need help with this.

BL

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I have a 7yr old step daughter who we get every other weekend, holidays and for the summer. Last time we were supposed to pick her up my mother in-law wanted to get her but when she went to pick her up she wasn't there so we called her mother and she told us that my step daughter had gotten hurt on the play ground at school and was at the hospital. So we assumed that was what happened but when my husband asked to come see her she made up an excuse for him not to come. So he talked to his daughter over the phone and asked her how she was after a long pause she said ok and changed the subject.

So we got her this following weekend and asked her how she was feeling and she started to cry. So I sat down with her and asked what happened and she told me that she did not get hurt her mommy just didn't want her to come to our house and she didn't know why her mommy had told the story of her being hurt. The next day I was getting ready to brush her hair out and she just started crying and asking if she could stay with us and visit her mom on the weekends, when I asked her why she told me crying that her mommy hits her for no reason. I said are you sure that it is not because you did something wrong and she started to cry even harder and told me that if she spills something or doesn't do something fast enough then her mommy hits her. I told my husband what was happening and he said that because of him being tied up in court with so many issues such as child support and visitation that he didn't know what to do.

I am scared to have him say anything to the mother and then have her take it out on my step daughter but I can't just let this go. My step daughter has never said that she wanted to live with us ever before so it makes me look at it a little more seriously when she knows that she won't see her mom everyday and wants it that way.

Should I call CPS in the county that she lives in or what can I do. I feel like I am so helpless and I really can't stand to see her in pain anymore.

Thank you I know this is long but I really need help with this.
I do not believe " WE " get visit . I believe DAD does , and DAD needs to handle it .
One place to start with would be the School's personnel , Most , if not ALL are mandated by Law to report suspected child neglect or abuse . A school's councilor might be able to intervene .

moburkes

You can call, but what are you going to say? That mom lied?

A better thing would be to document that visitation that was missed, and keep track of missed visitations and reasons. Then, eventually DAD will file contempt of court, and will have the written notes. The judge can ask MOM if her daughter was at ER, and for proof.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">