• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to Appear by Telephone across-state lines?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

asiny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am looking to file a complain across multiple-state lines. I believe I can, based on searching the interwebs, but thought I would ask with the experts :D in here.

As a pro se plaintiff, can I file motions to appear by telephone in San Bernadino County, CA and Dallas County, TX?

California is my main motion complaint filing state. I am filing a subpoena for appearance of original purchase orders and contact information from a distributor about one of their dealers - who is in California - whom I am filing the complaint against.
The distributor is claiming confidentiality of their dealer information - which I agree with completely. But filing a subpoena in their county - can I file a motion to appear by telephone if the distributor decide to argue it?

Many thanks for the wise-advice.

bl6394

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I am looking to file a complain across multiple-state lines. I believe I can, based on searching the interwebs, but thought I would ask with the experts :D in here.

As a pro se plaintiff, can I file motions to appear by telephone in San Bernadino County, CA and Dallas County, TX?

California is my main motion complaint filing state. I am filing a subpoena for appearance of original purchase orders and contact information from a distributor about one of their dealers - who is in California - whom I am filing the complaint against.
The distributor is claiming confidentiality of their dealer information - which I agree with completely. But filing a subpoena in their county - can I file a motion to appear by telephone if the distributor decide to argue it?

Many thanks for the wise-advice.
You CAN file a motion to appear by telephone in California - and if the court approves do so. I filed the motion to appear by telephone myself - pro per. But you might regret it...

I had two cases where I filed as such. In one case - I was represented by an attorney. In another - I was pro per (pro-se) - but had an attorney available in case I needed him (long story...)

In the first case - I called in, was told by the clerk to call back in 5 minutes, and no one ever would pick up the phone again! (My lawyer had the matter dismissed - and I was not needed to testify.)

In the second case - we managed to get the telephonic appearance up and running - but the audio quality was so poor that only every other word was intelligible. I'm not sure if they could hear me any better. In this case - my attorney stepped in for me and pointed out to the judge that the defendant's motion was groundless - and my petition was granted.

Hopefully - you'll have a better experience than I did in the Fresno Superior Court. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">