• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motorcycle Confiscated by L.A.P.D.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HJK

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I did a Custom paint job on a Harley Davidson. It soon became apparent that the owner could not pay his bill and after several months could no longer be located. I proceeded to have a Lien Sale, following every stipulation of Civil Code 3072. This took 3 months. With there being no qualified bidder I completed the Certification of Lien Sale, showing myself as both buyer and seller. I then went to the DMV and registered the bike in my name. Then I started to restore the bike. When it was dropped off it was not running and was literally in pieces, with most missing,
Then out of the blue, two plain clothed detectives came to my home. They informed me that the bike had been stolen,,,7 YEARS AGO,,,,and that it now belonged to the Ins Co.
I explained the circumstances under which I acquired the bike and attempted to show my registration and purchase receipts. They glanced at these and told me to meet with them Monday morning at the Tow Co.'s Impound Lot, and bring everything with. I asked for the name of the Ins. Co., hoping to negotiate, and they said they would speak to them on my behalf. Then they left with my bike! I was dumb founded!!
Mon. I was told the Ins. Co. did not want to speak with me, but they would take off all the parts that I had a receipts for and give them to me. This would leave the bike disabled and non-operable??? The Det. said this would take a couple of weeks, which it has been and still no word.
My questions are; How could the DMV register a stolen bike AND charge me over $400..
Is there a Statue of Limitations regarding the Ins. Co. claim of ownership? It has been well over 7 years.
Do I, as being one with a verifiable equity position, have any legal rights?
Will I be responsible for the exorbitant amount owe to the Tow Co.?
I really want my bike back. If I could just speak to the Ins. Co. I'm sure it would be mutually beneficial.
Please advise me as I am at a loss. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Sorry Charlie. If a vehicle is reported stolen by the rightful owner, then it remains stolen until it was returnned to the rightful owner.

racer72

Now you know why the guy that wanted the bike painted never paid for the work. Also, 7 years is not a long time in the world of stolen motor vehicles. Last year a VW van was recovered, it had been stolen in 1970, sold to someone in 1995 and that person put thousands into restoring it. It was then sold to someone in Germany. It was discovered to be stolen just before it was shipped overseas. The orignal owner tried to claim it but was denied, the van was turned over to the insurance company that paid the claim 40 years ago. They sold it at auction and donated the proceeds to charity.

HJK

Motorcycle Confiscated by L.A.P.D.(Addendum)

Would someone please tell me where or how to look up the Ins. Co. that has the policy? A matter of record where?

CdwJava

Would someone please tell me where or how to look up the Ins. Co. that has the policy? A matter of record where?
I suspect the police department might have that information. If they have agreed to let you take the parts off and retrieve them, you must know how to communicate with them or know someone that does Perhaps the tow company that has the bike?

Otherwise you can try running the plate or VIN through the DMV and they will mail you the info on the current registered and legal owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">