• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Move Out Guarantee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

STripepi

Another election is upon us, and the usual vows to leave the country are issued. To my knowledge not one of these 'personal guarantees' have been honored.

My question is... What elements would constitute a contract to hold these individuals to their word? I would like to draft a 'contract' to such ends. While it may not be ultimately binding, I would like to test their willingness to sign as well as make a point. I know. I know. But could you indulge an old man?

Just Blue

Another election is upon us, and the usual vows to leave the country are issued. To my knowledge not one of these 'personal guarantees' have been honored.

My question is... What elements would constitute a contract to hold these individuals to their word? I would like to draft a 'contract' to such ends. While it may not be ultimately binding, I would like to test their willingness to sign as well as make a point. I know. I know. But could you indulge an old man?
What type of contract and with whom?

quincy

Yours is not really a legal question and what you see as “personal guarantees” are not really contracts.

A contract is an agreement between two or more persons which creates an obligation to do or not do a particular thing.

Now, if these individuals agree to leave the country if you pay for their travel and living expenses and you pay them and they don’t leave, that could be an enforceable contract. You could sue for breach of contract and return of your money.

adjusterjack

You're delusional if you think a politician is going to sign something like that and mean it. And if you know up front that it would be unenforceable you, and the politician, would just be playing silly games.

quincy

What complicates any “contract” that might be contemplated here is the impossibility to perform the terms of the contract as agreed. Currently, many other countries are not allowing those from the U.S. to enter, due to Covid-19 restrictions.

Fun facts: Both in 2016, on election night, and in 2020, after the first presidential debate, search engines reported a surge (+500% increase) in searches for “How to move to Canada.” Of additional note, the search engines reported a surge in searches for the words “logorrhea” (excessive and often incoherent talkativeness) and “xenophobia” (fear and hatred of anything strange or foreign) after the first 2020 debate.

zddoodah

What elements would constitute a contract to hold these individuals to their word?
A contract is a mutual agreement supported by consideration. The silly celebrity promises/pledges/threats to move out of the country if a certain result obtains in an election are not even close.

I would like to test their willingness to sign as well as make a point.
You're more than welcome to waste your time by trying to approach all the celebrities you like and ask them to put their promises/pledges/threats in writing.

quincy

It is not only “celebrities” who have threatened to move out of the country, although Trump is perhaps the most prominent of those who have said they would move.

It is the lack of consideration that appears to doom any contract right now. A promise to move with nothing more is simply an empty promise.

westside

It is not only “celebrities” who have threatened to move out of the country, although Trump is perhaps the most prominent of those who have said they would move.

It is the lack of consideration that appears to doom any contract right now. A promise to move with nothing more is simply an empty promise.
Mostly by empty people.

STripepi

Thank you all for your replies. It appears my premise of 'enforceable integrity' is foundationally flawed. Celebrities do come to mind when this topic comes up. But in my sphere of reality they are of no consequence. However in my particular case it is someone I (unfortunately) know. Their professed motto is "It's not illegal unless you get caught". Hence the contractual approach.

It 'sounds' like I need to work on a consideration element for 'promise of performance'. (I suppose helping them pack would not qualify.)

quincy

Thank you all for your replies. It appears my premise of 'enforceable integrity' is foundationally flawed. Celebrities do come to mind when this topic comes up. But in my sphere of reality they are of no consequence. However in my particular case it is someone I (unfortunately) know. Their professed motto is "It's not illegal unless you get caught". Hence the contractual approach.

It 'sounds' like I need to work on a consideration element for 'promise of performance'. (I suppose helping them pack would not qualify.)
Helping them pack would not qualify.

It appears that the best solution for you is to remove this individual from your life by eliminating all contact. You do not have to send a person packing for life in a different country for this to be accomplished.

STripepi

Thanks again. For the record, the other party has (again) vowed to initiate life in another country. I'm just trying to help them keep their word. For what that is worth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">