• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved the debate about Debt collectors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boswd

What is the name of your state? MA

We were hijacking that persons original thread.

I for one have been fortunate to actually have dealt with CA's that were willing to work with me. But you are right they are many who dont' care what you're story is they just want to get paid.
I think the biggest problem is the fact that debt collector's, the ones who are in charge of your account work on commision. This is why some people will get some debt collectors that are very difficult to deal with because the higher payout the better commision.
I feel that if they took commisions out of the equation and pay their employyees a higher based salary I think you would find them much easier to deal with. The company overall just wants their money back plain and simple. The debt collectors want as high of a commison as they can get, plain and simple.

If they aren't working off of commision they could more likely to be more flexiable with the people that really do want to pay off their debt but just can't afford some of the payment options under most current CA's systems.
This could make a very lucrative business even more lucartive since now they will be getting money back from the debtor's that wouldn't be able to pay before. They would spend less time and money on attorney's and less time tying up the court systems. spend less time having to invistigate FDCA violations etc.
There is always going to be deadbeats that just won't pay and those yes go after them to full extent but I'm sure that there are just as many who want to right the wrong get their credit back on track and regain their life back. I truly believe taking the commision part out of the equation would go a long way towards that.

ajs09876

True

The fact of the matter is if you collected debts for a living (Which I don't by the way). You would hear every excuse in the book probably multiple times each day. The fact is a lot of people want to get by without paying their bills. And if someone gets upset with the with you and fights you at every turn, (Prove I owe this debt. I have to look into the SOL when they know that they owe it) you're not going to be very accomdating. I understand medical problems and not being able to work, but isn't that why the law invented bankruptcy? To help people like this. Chances are if you show the original creditor that you will make payments, they will take it. Not something like you have a 50,000.00 bill and will make 50.00 per month payments, of course they will laugh at you. I think this whole thing started because kanman was giving bad advice. Telling someone not to listen to debt collector because he is on the other side. Isn't that what you should want? A peak at the how the other side thinks? And besides, I highly doubt that debtcollector is the one trying to collect from tired and hungry or the OP.

boswd

I couldn't agree more. People will look for every loophole imaginable while people like us fought through the hell we put ourselves in. And I mean Hell. but if you take one debt at a time, get a second job if you have too, be upfront and honest with the CA you can work through these problems.

but I do believe though if the debt collectors weren't paid on commision and were paid a higher based salary, they could be able to reach that one segmant of thier debtor's, that really do want to pay their debt off, to get into payment plans and avoid a lot of unecassary ties ups with discovery, SOL's , taking them to court etc.
There are always going to be the deadbeats that have the means to pay and wont' and try to hide and wait for the SOL and to those I say yes do what you have to do

ajs09876

yes

I'm sure that would help. I don't know how collections gets paid, but if it is on commission...that has got to be the worst job in the world (except for the summer I spent as the "complaint resolution manager" at a car dealership.) :)

boswd

I'm sure that would help. I don't know how collections gets paid, but if it is on commission...that has got to be the worst job in the world (except for the summer I spent as the "complaint resolution manager" at a car dealership.) :)

Yeah one of my friends worked as one in college, he said it was feast or famine and their were actually crazy crazy employees that would do anything to get thier commision and their were some that were really cool. he said their are basically two types, one type where this is just a job until I get a better one, turnover he said was hight, and the second type where this was their career and work their butt off to get that high commision. It's basically like being in sales he said. You want to get payment going but work very hard and sometimes very nasty to get the higher commisions.

He basically said it was a looney bin. People leaving the job saying I can't do this anymore and people actually being proud about squeezing out the last bit of money from people because they didn't know that their debt expired 15 years ago and they charged her interest on it as well.

K

Kanman

The fact of the matter is if you collected debts for a living (Which I don't by the way). You would hear every excuse in the book probably multiple times each day.
I actually believe you do collect for a living. Everything you say is in support of debt collectors. Yes, those poor debt collectors hear excuses like..."I don't have any money or I only have enough to purchase baby formula this month." Those damn deadbeats...how dare they ruin a good debt collector's day?

The fact is a lot of people want to get by without paying their bills.
Oh really? Gosh, when I look around this forum and other debt help or "legal" advice forums, I read a lot of cases of people in very sad situations. How do you come about this theory? I don't really see many posting...guess what, "I just ruined my credit rating...yeee..haaa!!!"

And if someone gets upset with the with you and fights you at every turn, (Prove I owe this debt. I have to look into the SOL when they know that they owe it) you're not going to be very accommodating.
Again, with the poor debt collectors hook. Meanwhile, you have a guy on another forum who can't eat or sleep because he is being harassed by one. Yes, I can't believe those poor debt collectors have to hear his story...such a shame.

I understand medical problems and not being able to work, but isn't that why the law invented bankruptcy? To help people like this.
Actually, that right is being dwindled away and you can thank the current administration in power and the credit card companies as they backed breaking down the bankruptcy laws. If you actually took the time to read anything about bankruptcy instead of assuming, you would find chapter 7 is very hard to do now, very few can qualify, and chapter 13 is now a repayment plan which you might as well settle with the debt lawyers. Not much of an option.

Chances are if you show the original creditor that you will make payments, they will take it. Not something like you have a 50,000.00 bill and will make 50.00 per month payments, of course they will laugh at you.
This may have worked for you, not sure where you are getting this general assessment, but most debt lawyers will taking nothing less than 90% of the loan...with a lawyer (which is going to cost you obviously), you can get maybe 40% (doubtful) to 60% (if that.) Given the fact the original creditor has already jacked it way up with interest and late fees, and you have no money...well... I ask again. What do you do if you can't pay? You seem to avoid this question.

I think this whole thing started because kanman was giving bad advice. Telling someone not to listen to debt collector because he is on the other side. Isn't that what you should want? A peak at the how the other side thinks? And besides, I highly doubt that debtcollector is the one trying to collect from tired and hungry or the OP.
Boy, you must be debtcollectors cheering squad. If you actually took the time to look the posts up...he was initially replying to all of mine.

What disturbs me about you is, and I have seen this personality type before, that you like to put everything in a nice neat box. Over there are the debtors..*insert boo...hiss* and over there are the poor collection agencies *insert yeah...go team*.. Oh look, over there are the "blacks" ...and in the corner are the "gays."

Black and white...nothing can cross. The world does not work like that.

Last edited:

Hungry&Tired

OK ASJ, it continues

Now back to ajs.

First of all I had no problem with you at all. You were expressing your opinion like an adult and I appreciated that! But now you have pissed me off. You need to pick your face up off the floor where it laying next to your brains at the moment.

I don't believe that you said I forgot to pay a bill. Who in the hell forgets to pay a bill for over 6 years. I just erased half my post explaining my situation because what in the hell do I have to prove to you anyway! Guess what I paid my bill and I won't pay it twice. I will win this case and if I have to subpoena God I am going to find my proof. The proof is in the way my bill was paid every month on time, two months not and ONE HUGE PAYMENT! Yeah the real sign of a Deadbeat! Stevie Wonder could see that the debt was paid off!

Tell me they have rules that they follow. When your boss tells you to get the job done before the guy next to you will be calling you after you lose your job what would you do? You would prob use every trick in the book to get that commission so you could feed your family. I get calls every other day for accounts that are not mine from companies. All of a sudden they changed the bill from one address to mine after 3,4,5, years and now I have to prove to each of these schmucks that it's not me. So what happens when those schmucks lie to another company and get my personal info and it's on my CR. Luckily no SSN attached but I never had accounts with the OC's before. But Lo and behold! When I pulled this last CR I have met Calvary Portfolio for the first time. Oh BTW 3 yr old debt that showed up 2/2007, never been phoned on it, never had mail on it but voila it's sitting on my credit report and they are trying to tell me that my SSN has been on this account from day one. Sure it has. The companies use other companies to search for debtors and if their programs find that you are the most likely candidate to be a match guess what it's your debt. My name is so common that Portfolio had two pages of accounts with my exact name and not a one with my address. But the original debtor AT & T had my info from an OLD Long Distance phone account I had before I changed it to NYNYEX who is not even in busines anymore- they are now Verizon. Think I could have long distance now without paying my bill? Now it's on my CR and supposed to be my bill. So what if I didn't find this entry and they did the same thing to me that the other a-holes did but now sending the bill and summons to another address and I had another bank levy. Do you think they did due dilligence in finding my contact info? I'm not unlisted and had same number for 20+ years. Creditors w/o my SSN have found me somehow. Lucky you, if your real name is as confusing as your moniker here. I guess all the John Smiths and Mary Jones' are just f***ed, huh?

I didn't like debtcollectors comments because at times they were short, pointless, curt, patronizing and hostile. And I did encourage him to be as generous with info as he was with the negativity. Maybe someone in here doesn't want to share that they have been fighting breast cancer or have a kid with a terrible disease and now it's all catching up to them. Maybe they just want to share the facts of their debt situation and ask for advice. Some just want to know what their rights are! What in the heck is wrong with that! They should be able to do that without someone implying negative things about their character. If you think they're deadbeats then don't answer it. If you think they are getting bad advice. Debate the issue in a civil manner or like a half a man at least and back it up with the statute.
Now I might sound hostile right now but I am a b*tch who has reasons to and trust me as pissed as I am I wouldn't go in the ring with myself right now... what's his excuse? 90% of the world hate their jobs.

WHAT?

TigerD

...But now you have pissed me off.

...but I am a b*tch
I don't think anybody is arguing with you. We agree you are a pissy b*tch. :)

As for backing my posts with citations and code references, I do when I think it is necessary. I also provide a series of links to additional information for people in my sig.

Now I am going to address flaw in your post: You seem to think that we want to hear whatever excuse a debtor is using a justification for not paying their bill. We don't care. Collectors don't care and people on the board don't care.

It is a legal website. So let's follow the bouncing ball:
1. You have been contacted by a collector: a) it is your bill and you should pay it; b) You don't remember it or it isn't yours and you should send a validation letter - on receiving validation: i) pay it; send a cease and desist and assume you will be sued; or put up with collections until you can either pay it or work out a payment plan.
2. You believe the collector is violating the law: You post here and we repeatedly refer you to the FDCPA and advise on how to handle this -- look at my posting history, I've answered most of these at least twice. The search button is your friend.
3. It isn't your debt and need help explaining that: Read #2 and continue.
4. You are asking questions about an ongoing lawsuit and some numbnuts like kanman gives you incorrect advice, which will hurt you: We then have to try to provide correct information through his rain of silly comments.
5. You have general questions about the process: Who better than a collections professional to provide that insight?

DC

K

Kanman

5. You have general questions about the process: Who better than a collections professional to provide that insight?
Because debt collectors uphold the law and are trustworthy. Is that what you are trying to sell the public these days? What a hack.

It equates to a terrorist saying, "let me tell you the inner workings of a terrorist organization..." then blows himself and you up.

Hungry&Tired

AJS and Debtcollector are one in the same!

I just realized that They are the same guy.
I addressed debtcollector and ajs answered, then I addressed ajs and put a note in for debtcollector and he addressed what I said to ajs. It's easy to figure out that these guys are one in the same. That's why ajs was defending him. What a schmuck!
Next!
No quotes:

You answered the question.
Debt collectors don't care why you can't pay a bill but speak for your damn self and not others in this forum.

The pissy b.. thing just shows what a moron you are debtcollector and you answered that question too? How brave poeple are when they can't look you in the eye. But as a debt collector I guess you get used to saying nasty sh*t to people who can't look into your beedy eyes.

On the same note I guess it's safe to say that we don't care about how you guys feel about the validation letters and jumping through hoops you guys get either. Now I can say with certainty that I am glad that people are not making your job easy. Fight them because they count on the fact that you are not going to be pro-active or that you're lazy and that was why you are in debt to begin with. There could be no other feasible reason for them and if there is, they don't care.. he said it!

With the rise of ID Theft I just wonder how many of those poor people you terrorrize on a debt that is not really owned by the individual, you know it's not theirs, but intend to collect, harrass and sue the sh*t out of them anyway instead aid in going after the real culprit.

I have always believed that the majority of people in this world are good, kind folks. But I do want to thank you for giving me that special perspective on the mind of a debt collector. See I never had a complete face on the idiot that will call me on a debt that has magicaly been ASSIGNED to me after 5 years. Now I understand that jerk on the other side of the phone. I used to think, wel he's just doing his job. But now I really see what you jerks think of what I am saying when I'm telling you I don't own this debt. I see logic has nothing to do with why they continue to call me back and try to trick me into giving up my SSN and get pissed off when I won't give it to them or try to illegally get my hospital records or trick another entity into sharing it with them. I know about the dirty tricks they hire the independent contractors and jerks like you to do.

Why don't you talk about that stuff in here? That's what people like me want to know from you. What are the dirty tricks you use to get your pay? That's what I call helpful. There is nothing legal about what you guys do including the papers you file in the court of law.

Now I can add debt collectors to the bottom of the pile with the murderers, pedophiles, rapists and racists. I don't wish you guys death, just a long, not too deep so it can be painful, COMA.
Next time you start to type a post in this forum. Take those meat-beaters you have for hands and put them around your neck instead. Don't forget to squeeze.

K

Kanman

Hungry&Tired1607418 said:
I just realized that They are the same guy.
I addressed debtcollector and ajs answered, then I addressed ajs and put a note in for debtcollector and he addressed what I said to ajs. It's easy to figure out that these guys are one in the same. That's why ajs was defending him. What a schmuck!
I was getting suspicious as well...just to many "what the poor debt collector has to hear remarks." This just proves the dishonesty and trickery these types will resort to and why people should not be taking legal advice from him, or anyone for that matter, in a public forum where there is animosity. You could be giving up what little options you have to win by listening to someone like debtcollector or ajs or ????

What was that you said about upholding the law and being trustworthy debtcollector? Ha!

K

Kanman

The fact of the matter is if you collected debts for a living (Which I don't by the way).
I love this line from ajs/debtcollector or whatever he is calling himself these days. I guess that would make it a downright lie, and a lie to all the people on this forum.

Hmmmm... if he is lying about;
1. his identity ...and...
2. his employment as a debt collector..

then why should we trust you and your advice again?

mtnstyne

DC, you will never be able to convince them that debt collectors do follow the law. All you can do is give them the facts. These type of people think that they are entitled to "stuff" provided on credit and then when they don't pay you shouldn't expect them to pay...it is unfair...boohoo!! People like this think that lifes necessities include things like cell phones, Ipods, internet access, etc...

There is a reason it is called a CRIME to not pay your bills....because there are victims. Who suffers when a deadbeat doesn't pay his rent? Someone still has to pay their mortgage...see, one irresponsible person (rentor) causes a responsible person (property owner) a financial hardship. But you would have that property owner maybe go hungry or his family miss out on a vacation or have a crappy Christmas because someone who agreed to pay didn't. And then they whine and cry and make up excuses...

Maybe you think it is fine to not pay the big boys on corporate america? Thanks for that as well, they are passing that along to us responsible bill payers as well. Why don't you just shut up a while and pay your damn bills...that's why I have 2 debt collectors working for me...to harass the sh*t out of my former tennants...I hope their lives are miserable!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">