• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Health Insurances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I currently hold Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance on my husband, myself, and step-son. I also hold AFLAC insurance on the three of us. These policies have been in place since January 16, 2010. The reasoning is: 1) Husband has no health insurance through employer (family farm) 2) Policy options were single, single plus dependents, or family. Only option to cover husband then was family which also covered step-son for same price 3) Step-son has needed to be seen by doctor when husband has had parenting time. Mom has not given health insurance information when husband asked. It was decided by husband and I to use health insurance that we have to cover doctor visits.

Mom has health insurance for child through her place of employment. She stated that the policy costs her $20-30 per paycheck. I believe that this has been in place since childs birth in Feb 2009.

Mom is contending that having multiple health insurances for child is illegal and fradulent.

[This conversation took place with my hearing] Husband has offered to cover child on our insurance. Mom states that she likes the insurance that she has and doesn't need insurance for child. Husband said he could send a copy of our coverage to her. (My HR provided an extra copy just for mom) Husband stated that if the coverage is similar or comparable that she could save the $20-30 per paycheck. This is when she contended that multiple insurances were illegal. In the same conversation she stated AFLAC was a waste of money.

I talked to the clinic and hospital were I, husband and step-son are seen. They stated as long as one is considered primary and one secondary that is all they needed. (I actually had two health insurance policies from my current and previous employer overlap for about 15 days last year. They billed the current employer first and what was left billed to the second insurance.)

Court Order is a temporary oder stating:
The Defendant [Mom] shall have temporary primary residential responsibility for the parties’ minor child, during the interim of these proceedings.

The Plaintiff [Dad] shall have parenting time with child every other weekend from 6:00 p.m. on Thursday until 5:00 p.m. on the following Monday. Unless the parties agree otherwise, parenting time exchanges shall take place at the Defendant’s residence. The Plaintiff shall be responsible for all transportation associated with this exercise of parenting time.

In the event the Plaintiff is not able to personally provide transportation for his exercise of parenting time, the Plaintiff’s wife, may provide that transportation.

Are mom's accusations correct?
Could I be held liable for insurance fraud?
If I filed for money from AFLAC for something happening to step-son could mom recieve any of that money?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ajkroy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Dakota

I currently hold Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance on my husband, myself, and step-son. I also hold AFLAC insurance on the three of us. These policies have been in place since January 16, 2010. The reasoning is: 1) Husband has no health insurance through employer (family farm) 2) Policy options were single, single plus dependents, or family. Only option to cover husband then was family which also covered step-son for same price 3) Step-son has needed to be seen by doctor when husband has had parenting time. Mom has not given health insurance information when husband asked. It was decided by husband and I to use health insurance that we have to cover doctor visits.

Mom has health insurance for child through her place of employment. She stated that the policy costs her $20-30 per paycheck. I believe that this has been in place since childs birth in Feb 2009.

Mom is contending that having multiple health insurances for child is illegal and fradulent.

[This conversation took place with my hearing] Husband has offered to cover child on our insurance. Mom states that she likes the insurance that she has and doesn't need insurance for child. Husband said he could send a copy of our coverage to her. (My HR provided an extra copy just for mom) Husband stated that if the coverage is similar or comparable that she could save the $20-30 per paycheck. This is when she contended that multiple insurances were illegal. In the same conversation she stated AFLAC was a waste of money.

I talked to the clinic and hospital were I, husband and step-son are seen. They stated as long as one is considered primary and one secondary that is all they needed. (I actually had two health insurance policies from my current and previous employer overlap for about 15 days last year. They billed the current employer first and what was left billed to the second insurance.)

Court Order is a temporary oder stating:
The Defendant [Mom] shall have temporary primary residential responsibility for the parties’ minor child, during the interim of these proceedings.

The Plaintiff [Dad] shall have parenting time with child every other weekend from 6:00 p.m. on Thursday until 5:00 p.m. on the following Monday. Unless the parties agree otherwise, parenting time exchanges shall take place at the Defendant’s residence. The Plaintiff shall be responsible for all transportation associated with this exercise of parenting time.

In the event the Plaintiff is not able to personally provide transportation for his exercise of parenting time, the Plaintiff’s wife, may provide that transportation.

Are mom's accusations correct?
Could I be held liable for insurance fraud?
If I filed for money from AFLAC for something happening to step-son could mom recieve any of that money?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Having multiple insurance policies is not fraud. I have done it for years. The only problem you have is if you did not notify your insurances about your relationship to your stepson and purported that he was your child.

If you can find out what insurance Mom has, you should look into the coordination of benefits. Most likely, neither of you would have to pay copays or deductibles for that child, because the secondary insurance will pick up the balance left by the primary (assuming covered procedure and diagnosis).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">