• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Multiple Jurisdictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SeekChrist

What is the name of your state? Arizona
The mother and I each have a Custody case on our daughter. She gave me permission to have our daughter out here in April and I picked her up. She since has been living here since April 26th. Her original case was filed last year in Florida which nothing was ever followed up. After many months I proceeded to file for a temporary emergency order w/o notice in which I was granted as the residential parent based on my assumption the original case was dismissed after 120 days of inactivity (which I was wrong I found today). Our daughter has been here for 4 months. The emergency order was in effect due to the mother being chemically dependant as a drug user, very violent, and having multiple pending cases involving verbal and physical threats with a weapon. She is also pregnant and staying with a friend with no stable/safe living environment. Currently, during court today, the judge realized multiple cases were open and said that she would have to speak to the other judge to see whether they will differ jurisdiction to Florida on the fact of it being the "home" state as well as the previous order that was placed there. She has a pending emergency pickup ordered for September 18th in which she filed after she got served 9 days ago for todays court date. My question is, what do I do? If Florida is granted jurisdiction, can I file for emergency jurisdiction before the 18th furthermore can I file before the decision is granted? Im going to Florida already on the 5th of September to handle some business matters. Is it possible to deliver some evidence to the Florida judge prior to the judges making their decisions to support why I feel (the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act Section 25-1037) should be in my favor? Common sense and any form of moral or ethical standards would assume a drug infested, violent, and unstable parent is incapable of caring for a child much less is it an appropriate place for a child to grow however I am stuck. My faith is in God that His Will be done, is there any thing I should attempt to do or just be a sitting duck and wait for a judgement call?

Last edited:

casa

SeekChrist said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona
The mother and I each have a Custody case on our daughter. She gave me permission to have our daughter out here in April and I picked her up. She since has been living here since April 26th. Her original case was filed last year in Florida which nothing was ever followed up. After many months I proceeded to file for a temporary emergency order w/o notice in which I was granted as the residential parent based on my assumption the original case was dismissed after 120 days of inactivity (which I was wrong I found today). Our daughter has been here for 4 months. The emergency order was in effect due to the mother being chemically dependant as a drug user, very violent, and having multiple pending cases involving verbal and physical threats with a weapon. She is also pregnant and staying with a friend with no stable/safe living environment. Currently, during court today, the judge realized multiple cases were open and said that she would have to speak to the other judge to see whether they will differ jurisdiction to Florida on the fact of it being the "home" state as well as the previous order that was placed there. She has a pending emergency pickup ordered for September 18th in which she filed after she got served 9 days ago for todays court date. My question is, what do I do? If Florida is granted jurisdiction, can I file for emergency jurisdiction before the 18th furthermore can I file before the decision is granted? Im going to Florida already on the 5th of September to handle some business matters. Is it possible to deliver some evidence to the Florida judge prior to the judges making their decisions to support why I feel (the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act Section 25-1037) should be in my favor? Common sense and any form of moral or ethical standards would assume a drug infested, violent, and unstable parent is incapable of caring for a child much less is it an appropriate place for a child to grow however I am stuck. My faith is in God that His Will be done, is there any thing I should attempt to do or just be a sitting duck and wait for a judgement call?
Wait to see what the judges decide. FL had Jurisdiction of this case & you filed in another state (AZ). Right now you are waiting to see if they will allow AZ to take Jurisdction of your case. You're not a 'sitting duck', you just have to wait to hear what the court rules.

A word of advice is to lay off the Religious speak~ It has no business in a Custody Case.

SeekChrist

Thanks.
Its not religious speaking its my lifestyle, I dont need to speak about my lifestyle in a case simply let it be seen in my actions. Your correct, although Im not going to change who I am and be fake on a forum when seeking advice. :) Sorry if this offended you in anyway.

casa

SeekChrist said:
Thanks.
Its not religious speaking its my lifestyle, I dont need to speak about my lifestyle in a case simply let it be seen in my actions. Your correct, although Im not going to change who I am and be fake on a forum when seeking advice. :) Sorry if this offended you in anyway.
You don't offend me...I'm giving you advice re; your case. I understand it's your "Lifestyle" and the same can be said for anyone who practices ANY Religion...however, the Court doesn't want to hear it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">