• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Must I support an alienated child who disowned me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satre51

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN

My 14 year old son has been alienated against me. He wants absolutely nothing to do with me and refuses to visit with me. Before this happened I had moved to the next street from the mother in order to coparent 50/50 with the mother. I have household rules whereas the mother has NO rules, and my son is in a very difficult rebellious teen stage and it's to the point where I don't even want to pay money to fight to see my son who doesnt want to see me, until he's old enough to know better, although my door is always open to raise him as much as I'm allowed.

Now, in addition to shutting me out of his life, the mother is trying to maximize her child support by taking advantage of the fact my son hasn't wanted to see me, by trying to make me agree to a parenting plan of only a few days a year, as if I had moved away and abandoned my son, although nothing is further from the truth.

We've determined the alienation part (rules vs no rules) is nearly impossible to prove in court so isn't there a legal stipulation that I shouldn't be required to pay additional child support for all the parenting time I'm missing out on due to my son not wanting to see me? Or do I have to support a child even moreso who has disowned me?

HRZ

DO you have a valid current visitation order which mom is frustrating as to exercise of same ? IF so, have you discussed with counsel seeking a contempt citation plus sanctions like costs and make up time ...if moms pocketbook is her main concern , go after it ?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
At the end of the day, child support is not an admission ticket to see your child. It is your responsibility, regardless. No matter what sort of screw:p he is or the situation is.

That said, how long have the two of you been estranged? How has the other parent alienated him? Perhaps we can help you turn things around?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">