• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MV messed somthing up?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

45Frank

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Several years back I went to reg. my auto at the tag office. They said I didn't pay my taxes, went home got my cancelled check, no good, went to Tax office got duplicate receipt, no good. Finally I said what in the hell do you want. They wanted a letter from Mecklenburg county saying taxes were paid. Problem is I don't live in that county and have never been to that county. Came home called DMV and was on the phone for HOURS, finally they said someone in Charlotte has the same plate as me. I asked for new plates and they said no but after calling my home county and the other they released the hold. Done.
Same think the next year. Three hours to reg a car!!!!
Now this year I go and they say my car hasn't been inspected, well out to the car for my printout and they say NG. They wanted a duplicate from the garage that day, so off to the garage, they plug my car in and printout a duplicate and off to the DMV. Well I didn't notice but the printout from the DMV computer they had had my car as a 1997 not a 2007 and having 50 thousand more mile on it. So they now say my car is a 1997 not a 2007 and has 50 thousand more miles on it!!! They wouldn't register saying the title is for a car in Raleigh. Well I wouldn't leave until they did, I was their for HOURS and they made several calls.
I was told this is the last time the state would reg my car and the title is wrong. It's not, it's the same VIN as on the car. I bought this car new 8 years ago from a Saturn dealer.
My problem now I was going to trade my car in and the dealer says I have a dirty title and doesn't match DMV records. What does this mean and how do I fix it. I have called Raleigh twice and get put on hold a lot up to and hour and a half but never an answer just a run around and call back.

FlyingRon

Believe me NC is one of the most screwed up DMVs in the country, but they have been getting a lot better in the past. You're always well advised (at least my mechanic does) to hold on to your inspection receipts. The DMV regularly "loses" the electronic copy. They've lost other documents on me and sent them to the wrong address. The "tag agencies" is not the DMV. It's one of the stupidest, unresponsive, screwed up parts of thee system and it is where almost all of the SCREW UPS originate (they had a complete pile of documents on my title since I maintain a Virginia residence but they managed to lose the copy of our licenses which I know they had as they charged me a quarter to duplicate them in addition to charging me for a notary to sign my residency affidavit).

Did you get the VIN/TITLE NUMBER issue fixed? Call the DMV number (it's really not that bad) and ask what they want to resolve it. I suppose you don't have any of your purchase docs from eight years ago?

45Frank

Believe me NC is one of the most screwed up DMVs in the country, but they have been getting a lot better in the past. You're always well advised (at least my mechanic does) to hold on to your inspection receipts. The DMV regularly "loses" the electronic copy. They've lost other documents on me and sent them to the wrong address. The "tag agencies" is not the DMV. It's one of the stupidest, unresponsive, screwed up parts of thee system and it is where almost all of the SCREW UPS originate (they had a complete pile of documents on my title since I maintain a Virginia residence but they managed to lose the copy of our licenses which I know they had as they charged me a quarter to duplicate them in addition to charging me for a notary to sign my residency affidavit).

Did you get the VIN/TITLE NUMBER issue fixed? Call the DMV number (it's really not that bad) and ask what they want to resolve it. I suppose you don't have any of your purchase docs from eight years ago?
Sorry for the delay I had to step back or go nuts. No I couldn't do the trade but have called the DMV a few times. They just keep saying the same thing it's shows the owner in Mecklenburg County not me. I even talked to a supervisor who has no direction at all. There is a DMV here in my county (state employees just like Raleigh) that isn't listed and will be the same as going to Raleigh so I'm told and it only about 10 miles from here. I have a plan to go this week and see what they say or off to Raleigh I go. A four hour ride!!!!!!!!!! The only paper work I have from my purchase is the original title, I never thought of keeping the sales papers and such since it was nearly 8 years ago.
I'll keep y'all informed.

45Frank

Please don't. This has NOTHING whatsoever to do with auto accidents.

In addition this doesn't even seem to be a legal issue, but rather an administrative problem with the DMV.
Well sorry almighty one. Delete it then. Gee since you are all knowing please tell us where this should be posted? Also if I get caught driving an unregistered auto because they will not register it it a legal issue, if they will not inspect my vehicle I believe that to be an legal issue.
Sorry for wasting YOUR time.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It is not yet a legal issue. If and when it becomes one you can post your question, if you have one.

Don't forget this has nothing to do with auto accidents so please scroll down to the end of the forum listing and pick a more appropriate area when you get those tickets for unlicensed and unregistered operation of a motor vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">