• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My boss is disrespectful and abusive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

commentator

Agree, if I thought there was a good opportunity for a lawsuit here, I'd be telling the person the same, that they should run this by an attorney. But I've seen literally thousands of situations like this in the many years I worked with people who were working and being terminated and quitting, etc. Jerk bosses are as common as houseflies, while actual EEOC cases and "wrongful terminations" are like reindeer, they get a lot of publicity (particularly in legends) and they do exist, but they're not something you see every day or ever very frequently.

Both male and female jerk bosses tend to bully and verbally abuse women employees a bit more simply because women tend to be a bit more easily intimidated and tend to take a little more abuse before standing up for themselves. It may be sexist on my part to say this, but it's absolutely true. Most bullies don't tend to abuse people who they feel are more dominant or have more potential to respond or retaliate. Males tend not to be conflict avoiders and pleasers as much as females. I worked for a female bully boss once who avoided hiring males for this reason. She found they weren't as easy to bully and intimidate.

We don't know. This boss may really just discriminate and mistreat women. He may be a hard core woman hater. A pattern of across the board significant abuse of and discrimination against women employees based on the fact that they are female may or may not be there.

But it is going to be distracting to the employee to give them the impression they can tramp right off and sue this boss, that every attorney will be dying to take their case, and they're going to get tons of damages personally just because of what has been said to them, as each separate person he has insulted or been ugly to will receive reparation.

What they really would like is for the employer to change his behavior, to stop being a jerk and bullying and intimidating all the workers, which they can't make happen. People who work for this type of employer probably just need to move away from this situation. In a better economy, the business would have a real and well deserved turnover problem.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">