• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My dear sweet husband got a ticket...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjay

What is the name of your state? Maryland

My husband got a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign. He claims he came to a full stop, but I know he probably tapped the brakes for a split second and kept on going.

In Maryland, you can plead guilty by paying the fine, request a trial/hearing, or plead guilty and request a waiver. The fine is no big deal, but we'd like to keep this off his record if possible (he has a CDL but was in his POV at the time).

He plans to do the "plead guilty and beg for leniency," thing. Any advice as to what to say to have the best chances of receiving probation and not a conviction?

lwpat

(he has a CDL but was in his POV at the time).
Doesn't matter anymore. All tickets count against your CDL and have to be reported to your employer upon conviction. If his current record is clean this one ticket should be no problem. However if he has other tickets in the last three years it would be in his best interest to retain an attorney.

enjay

lwpat said:
Doesn't matter anymore. All tickets count against your CDL and have to be reported to your employer upon conviction. If his current record is clean this one ticket should be no problem. However if he has other tickets in the last three years it would be in his best interest to retain an attorney.
Thanks...his record is clean. His last ticket was 9 or 10 years ago. He also doesn't use his CDL, but maintains it in case he needs it in the future.

I'm still looking for advice regarding my initial question...what does he say? Does, "I'm sorry your honor, and am requesting probation rather than a conviction because I'm a good person with a clean record," work better than, "I'm sorry your honor. I truly believe I came to a full stop but recognize that it is my word against the officer's."

We'll make sure we schedule his monthly bath right before his hearing. ;)

S

seniorjudge

enjay said:
...I'm still looking for advice regarding my initial question...what does he say? Does, "I'm sorry your honor, and am requesting probation rather than a conviction because I'm a good person with a clean record," work better than, "I'm sorry your honor. I truly believe I came to a full stop but recognize that it is my word against the officer's."
The answer is in the standard answer I posted earlier. Re-read it.

rmet4nzkx

Judgy,
OOOOOH, OOOOOOOH! I know the answer, there is no "Dear Sweet Husband" defense, :)

BTW a "California Stop" isn't a defense in California either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">