• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex is ending a lawsuit soon would our child be able to receive any of that money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skittles1234

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa
My son's father is in the process of ending a lawsuit from a car accident that he was involved in. Would my son be able to collect any of that money that he receives? Do I have to take him back to court for that? Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa
My son's father is in the process of ending a lawsuit from a car accident that he was involved in. Would my son be able to collect any of that money that he receives? Do I have to take him back to court for that? Thanks.
Is he behind in child support? If not then no.

mommyof4

If there is no cs order, then NO parent must hand over part of a settlement for CS. If there IS a CS order, then the amount ordered is owed, no matter if s/he wins a settlement or not. Now, upon a modification, it MIGHT be taken into account, but just winning the settlement does NOT obligate a parent to pay out more.

If there is an arrearage, then yes, part of that settlement may go to cs, but it's not automatically ordered upon settlement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">