• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is disabled, Can i recieve unemployment?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snjd430

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
Hi everyone. I havent worked in 2 years but ive been married for a year. My husband has been pending disability for a year and a half now but he was living with me even before we got married. My husband has an eye desease and a desease of the liver and a bad back from back surgery so he cant see to drive, he cant really lift anything because of his back, i have to drive him to the doctor once a week, i have to do all the shopping, cooking and cleaning because he has a terminal illness he isnt able to do much of anything. Even though i havent worked in 2 years, due to the fact i take care of my husband, can i receive unemployment or something to get some income since i cant work?

justalayman

well, it won't be unemployment. You have to have earnings as the state requires to be eligible for UI and if you have not worked for 2 years, I seriously doubt there would be any chance for it.

as to anything else? I do not know. Hang around for a few others but I will say one thing:

i have to do all the shopping, cooking and cleaning
you and the majority of married women. You won't get paid for doing your own housework. That is simply one of the benefits of being married.;)

commentator

Absolutely not. Unemployment requires that you have covered wages in the last five quarters at the time you file for benefits. You won't. Unemployment is not a needs/ poverty program. When you are old enough, you can draw social security retirement based on all your wages since you began to work for covered employers. If you become disabled, you can draw social security disability based on your wages from covered employers throughout your worklife. But unemployment is based on being out of work through no fault of your own, and having wages in the most recent quarters. After two years, you don't have any covered wages anywhere, and it sounds as though you quit your last job, however long ago, for a personal reason anyhow. Then also, you have to be able and available and actively seeking full time work to receive benefits. You don't qualify any way there is.

Unemployment is not needs based. It is not a "welfare" program, not paid for by the taxpayers and given to you because you are needy. Unemployment is collected from the employers of the state and paid out only according to the statutes. No income questions are asked, and you could possibly win the lottery and continue drawing benefits if otherwise still qualifying.

But you don't. No way. Food stamps. Medicaid. SSI. You may check on these, and they may be yours due to your circumstances and family income. Not unemployment though.

Check the blue pages for something called "department of aging and disability services" or something similar in state agencies.

Your husband could be eligible for some home health care through this agency (they will feed him, bathe him, do HIS laundry). This will free you up to get a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">