• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My life's and utter mess and failure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beardedturkey

The utter mess started 3 years ago when I applied to work for the Department of Corrections for Wisconsin. Back in 2021 I was 25 years old. I went through the whole process and started academy class. Two weeks into the class I'm placed on a medical leave because during the hiring process a drug screen, fitness test/evaluation is done and I mentioned that I had depression and anxiety. They requested I meet with my primary care physician and get paperwork elaborating on my depression and anxiety. Keep in mind this "primary physician" is someone who knows nothing about me, I've only seen her a few times in 3 years. I thought she was going to be reasonable and I gave her the paperwork to complete and we discussed it. Turns out she pulled a 180 on me and deamed me unfit to work in the corrections and that I was a suicide risk. This destroyed me along with my job opportunity. I tried to get the decision overturned by getting a psychiatric evaluation and no one gave a rats ass about helping me out and basically said they're not going to over rule what my shit for brains PA said. Fortunately I got a call from the prison saying that since I technically worked there 2 weeks I could apply for long term disability. By God's grace I was approved and I had some income to make it by. Now it's been a month since my medical separation and I went back to school and got my CNA license. I started working at a nursing facility and within two weeks I sustained a debilitating back injury. I was physically unable to live life for almost a year, my life consisted of laying on the floor and being in constant pain. I'm still getting long term disability though so even though I'm in agony I'm able to offer some financial support to my family. I ended up getting back surgery and within 9 months I was fully recovered. I applied to work at many places and many of them declined me. I think it's because of the last job I had before the department of corrections was a cheese factory I worked at for 5 years and they were giving me a bad reference because I was fired from there for a minor safety violation, in which no one got hurt, no one was in any danger, and ultimately in my eyes the termination was wrongful. All while doing this I was working with a new PA and working on my mental health. I was actively working with a psychiatrist and adjusting my Meds and I even went to therapy. Life's been rough but I've been actively working to better myself so my 3 year child and wife have a future. Fast forward to 2023 October and I apply for the department of corrections again. They have me apply and go through the hiring process and everything is good and now it's time for the drug test / physical test evaluation and I think I'm going to nail it and have this amazing job where I can finally support myself and a family and start building towards a future. Everything is fine, I do my hearing test, drug screen, and then it's not fine, they have to postpone the physical exercise portion of the test because I have high blood pressure and high heart rate. They require I meet with my PA and get clearance or establish a plan for my high BP and HR. I meet with my PA and we up the dose on my BP meds and I get started on metoprolol for my high HR and we meet up again within a week to see the results. We meet up and everything is good! Now my PA faxes the report to the other doctor in charge on my physical for the department of corrections. Turns out my PA faxes over a comprehensive report including all of my medications which are quitiapeme, lamotragene, venlafaxine. Meds for my anxiety and depression, which I've been on for 8 years. Bad news for me.... I never included my meds and never indicated my mental health history because I was afraid of what happened before. Well the doctor doing my physical was mad and ordered that I see my PA again and get supporting documentation regarding my mental health in order to schedule an appointment to finish the physical exam and ultimately secure a job with the Depart of corrections. I got paperwork and gave it to my PA and she was a bitch and said that I've had suicidal tendencies and that I've been deemed unfit to work because of my mental status but I've been complying with treatment and for the past couple years I've been mentally stable . I thought okay... Not the best but she technically said I've been mentally stable for a couple years... That's good right? That's what they want, to know that I've been mentally good... Which I have, she clearly said I have. Also... I want to add the prison I applied to my dad has been there for 20 years, it's medium security and it's been open for 40 years and they has been no murders on staff and no assaults, so in my eyes it seems pretty safe... Considering the last job as a CNA left me back injury that required me to have surgery on top of that any job has its risk, especially with manufacturing. Well now my PA faxes over the paperwork once again and it takes the doctor doing my physical 2 weeks to reply. I get a phone call and she's extremely rude and blunt with me saying she's not going to recommend me to work there and that I can't reschedule to finish the physical. Basically destroying my chance at the job again. I beg and pleaded with her to hear me out and let her explain that the paperwork indicated that I've been stable for the past couple years but she didn't care one bit. I'm devastated financially and emotionally. I don't think this is anything I can do. Maybe there is... Probably not. At least I told someone.... Any thoughts? Please be nice with the comments

commentator

All this much and what it comes down to is that your ideal dream job doesn't want you, for a variety of reasons. If I lived in your state, I would not want you working in my corrections system, either, because honestly from reading this post, corrections would not be a good fit for you, just from what you've posted here. Inmates are notoriously not kind and not emotionally supportive people, they ARE or tend very much to be highly manipulative.

You've had a few other jobs, and had injuries that would render you not a prize at any job where basic back fitness and a low prospect of getting injured would be a plus. So the people who are hiring at the prison have the right to decide that first of all, you might have lingering mental problems and wouldn't be a good fit for their kind of work, and second, you have shown a tendency to get injured and end up on the disabled list. Then of course, there's this thing that when you hear "no" you do not react well which you demonstrated by arguing with the hiring decision. And they are delighted to have missed the opportunity to employ you.

If you live in a place where being a corrections officer is your best and only potential place to find a good and stable job, perhaps you should consider relocation. It does not sound like this is the place for you.

Just Blue

The utter mess started 3 years ago when I applied to work for the Department of Corrections for Wisconsin. Back in 2021 I was 25 years old. I went through the whole process and started academy class. Two weeks into the class I'm placed on a medical leave because during the hiring process a drug screen, fitness test/evaluation is done and I mentioned that I had depression and anxiety. They requested I meet with my primary care physician and get paperwork elaborating on my depression and anxiety. Keep in mind this "primary physician" is someone who knows nothing about me, I've only seen her a few times in 3 years. I thought she was going to be reasonable and I gave her the paperwork to complete and we discussed it. Turns out she pulled a 180 on me and deamed me unfit to work in the corrections and that I was a suicide risk.

This destroyed me along with my job opportunity. I tried to get the decision overturned by getting a psychiatric evaluation and no one gave a rats ass about helping me out and basically said they're not going to over rule what my shit for brains PA said. Fortunately I got a call from the prison saying that since I technically worked there 2 weeks I could apply for long term disability. By God's grace I was approved and I had some income to make it by. Now it's been a month since my medical separation and I went back to school and got my CNA license. I started working at a nursing facility and within two weeks I sustained a debilitating back injury. I was physically unable to live life for almost a year, my life consisted of laying on the floor and being in constant pain. I'm still getting long term disability though so even though I'm in agony I'm able to offer some financial support to my family.

I ended up getting back surgery and within 9 months I was fully recovered. I applied to work at many places and many of them declined me. I think it's because of the last job I had before the department of corrections was a cheese factory I worked at for 5 years and they were giving me a bad reference because I was fired from there for a minor safety violation, in which no one got hurt, no one was in any danger, and ultimately in my eyes the termination was wrongful. All while doing this I was working with a new PA and working on my mental health. I was actively working with a psychiatrist and adjusting my Meds and I even went to therapy. Life's been rough but I've been actively working to better myself so my 3 year child and wife have a future. Fast forward to 2023 October and I apply for the department of corrections again.

They have me apply and go through the hiring process and everything is good and now it's time for the drug test / physical test evaluation and I think I'm going to nail it and have this amazing job where I can finally support myself and a family and start building towards a future. Everything is fine, I do my hearing test, drug screen, and then it's not fine, they have to postpone the physical exercise portion of the test because I have high blood pressure and high heart rate. They require I meet with my PA and get clearance or establish a plan for my high BP and HR. I meet with my PA and we up the dose on my BP meds and I get started on metoprolol for my high HR and we meet up again within a week to see the results. We meet up and everything is good! Now my PA faxes the report to the other doctor in charge on my physical for the department of corrections. Turns out my PA faxes over a comprehensive report including all of my medications which are quitiapeme, lamotragene, venlafaxine. Meds for my anxiety and depression, which I've been on for 8 years.

Bad news for me.... I never included my meds and never indicated my mental health history because I was afraid of what happened before. Well the doctor doing my physical was mad and ordered that I see my PA again and get supporting documentation regarding my mental health in order to schedule an appointment to finish the physical exam and ultimately secure a job with the Depart of corrections. I got paperwork and gave it to my PA and she was a bitch and said that I've had suicidal tendencies and that I've been deemed unfit to work because of my mental status but I've been complying with treatment and for the past couple years I've been mentally stable . I thought okay... Not the best but she technically said I've been mentally stable for a couple years... That's good right? That's what they want, to know that I've been mentally good... Which I have, she clearly said I have. Also... I want to add the prison I applied to my dad has been there for 20 years, it's medium security and it's been open for 40 years and they has been no murders on staff and no assaults, so in my eyes it seems pretty safe... Considering the last job as a CNA left me back injury that required me to have surgery on top of that any job has its risk, especially with manufacturing.

Well now my PA faxes over the paperwork once again and it takes the doctor doing my physical 2 weeks to reply. I get a phone call and she's extremely rude and blunt with me saying she's not going to recommend me to work there and that I can't reschedule to finish the physical. Basically destroying my chance at the job again. I beg and pleaded with her to hear me out and let her explain that the paperwork indicated that I've been stable for the past couple years but she didn't care one bit. I'm devastated financially and emotionally. I don't think this is anything I can do. Maybe there is... Probably not. At least I told someone.... Any thoughts? Please be nice with the comments
I added some white space for ease of reading.

The DOC did nothing wrong in declining your application and, IMO, they were wise to not hire someone with your mental health issues for such a high stress job. They are not responsible for the financial issues you are having nor the "mess" your life is in.

Based on your post, you are in your late 20's. Your life is not over and to jump to the conclusion that not getting this job makes you a failure is not rational.

I would advise that you seek help with your depression as you seem, based on your opening post, to be in a very bad place. Get some therapy to help guide you through this difficult time in your life.

I do wish you the very best.

quincy

The utter mess started 3 years ago when I applied to work for the Department of Corrections for Wisconsin. Back in 2021 I was 25 years old. I went through the whole process and started academy class. Two weeks into the class I'm placed on a medical leave because during the hiring process a drug screen, fitness test/evaluation is done and I mentioned that I had depression and anxiety. They requested I meet with my primary care physician and get paperwork elaborating on my depression and anxiety. Keep in mind this "primary physician" is someone who knows nothing about me, I've only seen her a few times in 3 years. I thought she was going to be reasonable and I gave her the paperwork to complete and we discussed it. Turns out she pulled a 180 on me and deamed me unfit to work in the corrections and that I was a suicide risk. This destroyed me along with my job opportunity. I tried to get the decision overturned by getting a psychiatric evaluation and no one gave a rats ass about helping me out and basically said they're not going to over rule what my shit for brains PA said. Fortunately I got a call from the prison saying that since I technically worked there 2 weeks I could apply for long term disability. By God's grace I was approved and I had some income to make it by. Now it's been a month since my medical separation and I went back to school and got my CNA license. I started working at a nursing facility and within two weeks I sustained a debilitating back injury. I was physically unable to live life for almost a year, my life consisted of laying on the floor and being in constant pain. I'm still getting long term disability though so even though I'm in agony I'm able to offer some financial support to my family. I ended up getting back surgery and within 9 months I was fully recovered. I applied to work at many places and many of them declined me. I think it's because of the last job I had before the department of corrections was a cheese factory I worked at for 5 years and they were giving me a bad reference because I was fired from there for a minor safety violation, in which no one got hurt, no one was in any danger, and ultimately in my eyes the termination was wrongful. All while doing this I was working with a new PA and working on my mental health. I was actively working with a psychiatrist and adjusting my Meds and I even went to therapy. Life's been rough but I've been actively working to better myself so my 3 year child and wife have a future. Fast forward to 2023 October and I apply for the department of corrections again. They have me apply and go through the hiring process and everything is good and now it's time for the drug test / physical test evaluation and I think I'm going to nail it and have this amazing job where I can finally support myself and a family and start building towards a future. Everything is fine, I do my hearing test, drug screen, and then it's not fine, they have to postpone the physical exercise portion of the test because I have high blood pressure and high heart rate. They require I meet with my PA and get clearance or establish a plan for my high BP and HR. I meet with my PA and we up the dose on my BP meds and I get started on metoprolol for my high HR and we meet up again within a week to see the results. We meet up and everything is good! Now my PA faxes the report to the other doctor in charge on my physical for the department of corrections. Turns out my PA faxes over a comprehensive report including all of my medications which are quitiapeme, lamotragene, venlafaxine. Meds for my anxiety and depression, which I've been on for 8 years. Bad news for me.... I never included my meds and never indicated my mental health history because I was afraid of what happened before. Well the doctor doing my physical was mad and ordered that I see my PA again and get supporting documentation regarding my mental health in order to schedule an appointment to finish the physical exam and ultimately secure a job with the Depart of corrections. I got paperwork and gave it to my PA and she was a bitch and said that I've had suicidal tendencies and that I've been deemed unfit to work because of my mental status but I've been complying with treatment and for the past couple years I've been mentally stable . I thought okay... Not the best but she technically said I've been mentally stable for a couple years... That's good right? That's what they want, to know that I've been mentally good... Which I have, she clearly said I have. Also... I want to add the prison I applied to my dad has been there for 20 years, it's medium security and it's been open for 40 years and they has been no murders on staff and no assaults, so in my eyes it seems pretty safe... Considering the last job as a CNA left me back injury that required me to have surgery on top of that any job has its risk, especially with manufacturing. Well now my PA faxes over the paperwork once again and it takes the doctor doing my physical 2 weeks to reply. I get a phone call and she's extremely rude and blunt with me saying she's not going to recommend me to work there and that I can't reschedule to finish the physical. Basically destroying my chance at the job again. I beg and pleaded with her to hear me out and let her explain that the paperwork indicated that I've been stable for the past couple years but she didn't care one bit. I'm devastated financially and emotionally. I don't think this is anything I can do. Maybe there is... Probably not. At least I told someone.... Any thoughts? Please be nice with the comments
Any thoughts? Yes. You’ve had a busy 3 years that would be hard on anyone.

You have a young family with a baby, and you’ve had jobs and job terminations, workplace injuries, surgery, DoC classes, CNA classes (with required 2000+ hours of direct patient care to earn a Wisconsin CNA license) ... all of this and more in a very short period of time while trying to keep your anxiety and depression under control.

I suggest you stop looking for jobs that exceed your current physical and emotional abilities and start looking for a low-stress job that does not require a lot of physical exertion. Perhaps your wife can find a job to help supplement your family income (if she isn’t already working).

I do not see any legal action available for you to pursue.

You need to take a deep breath, reevaluate your career potential, and pick something that aligns with your physical and mental abilities.

There is nothing wrong with being physically limited and there is nothing to be ashamed about to require mental health care. But those things mean that you are not a good fit for jobs requiring a certain degree of physical fitness/ability and mental fortitude.

Picking and pursuing a new career path means you are smart enough to move on and make the right decisions for your family.

FWIW, I am in IT, where the half-life of knowledge ( how long that knowledge is relevant to the IT world) is anywhere between 1.5-5 years depending on your sources and specialty. That means I have been in a constant state of retraining for more than 30 years. Retraining is not a bad thing at all. It keeps your career fresh and your mind sharp.

Eekamouse

Why would you want to work where your father is incarcerated anyway? So you can watch other guards treat your dad like crap and not be able to do anything about it? That sounds like it would be fantastic for your mental health - not.

Why would you want to work where your father is incarcerated anyway? So you can watch other guards treat your dad like crap and not be able to do anything about it? That sounds like it would be fantastic for your mental health - not.
I read it that his father has worked there for 20 years, not that he is incarcerated.

Eekamouse

I read it that his father has worked there for 20 years, not that he is incarcerated.
Actually, I think it could go either way with the meaning. He didn't specifically say employed or incarcerated. I'd like to believe you are correct, though.

quincy

... I want to add the prison I applied to my dad has been there for 20 years, it's medium security and it's been open for 40 years and they has been no murders on staff and no assaults, so in my eyes it seems pretty safe ...
The phrasing is definitely ambiguous.

I think it might be more common to say “worked there” rather than “has been there” when speaking of employment, though.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The phrasing is definitely ambiguous.

I think it might be more common to say “worked there” rather than “has been there” when speaking of employment, though.
When someone asks how long I've worked at my job, I usually respond "I've been there xx years"

quincy

When someone asks how long I've worked at my job, I usually respond "I've been there xx years"
Well, then there’s that. :)

But you aren’t employed at a prison. I think that makes a difference in how you’d word things. I am not sure you would say, “My dad’s been at Folsom Prison for 20 years” but rather “My dad has worked at Folsom Prison for 20 years.”

It would be nice if Beardedturkey clarified, if only for curiosity’s sake.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">