• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor, a police officer, illegally uses a handicap placard.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

graygray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I preemptively apologize if this post neglects any forum guidelines. I just now registered in a last ditch attempt to solve my little dilemma. On to it, then.

I live in Houston, Texas in a fairly affluent apartment complex that contains two centrally located, 4-story parking garages, in addition to outdoor parking spaces directly adjacent to the apartment buildings.

Now, I have a neighbor in the building next door who is a member of the Houston Police Department. About 4 months ago, he started parking in a the lone handicap spot in our vicinity WITHOUT a placard; instead placing his HPD bullet-proof vest on the front seat of his civilian vehicle (presumptively to deter any tow-truck driver).

Maybe a month after, he is still parking there but now WITH a placard. At this point, I am suspicious but no where near convinced he is breaking the law.

My proof came when he started blatantly rotating the placard between his and his wife's car, depending on whichever came home last and couldn't get a close spot. They make no attempt to hide their transgression, often just trading the spot and placard outright. (Side note: one of those 4-story garages is maybe 100 feet away.)

I cannot be positive that neither this man, nor his wife, is actually handicapped. But I have watched this go on for months and I find it really difficult to believe they are both juuuust handicapped enough to make this legal.

The ethical implications of this alleged crime are disgustingly far-reaching and I get really fired up when discussing it (obviously).

My question is simple, what's the best course of action to expose this cop for the petty, selfish, corrupt, lazy, etc...criminal that he is?

ACLU? DMV? Local news? I hesitate to go to a local agency, cops protect their own...

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated and I apologize for the length.

Thanks.

Isis1

Just FYI, OP. it is quite possible the driver of the vehicle is handicapped by an authorized entity. There are alot of disabilities not seen by a person without a medical degree. Case in point. Coworker of mine. She had a hip replacement due to a water skiing accident. I never saw her with a cane or walking with a limp. She still qualified. My husband broke his toe before I met him. He looked just fine to me. I laughed at him because I had two broken feet the year before and never took advantage of the handicap feature. So unless you are this person's doctor or case worker who establishes the use of this card, mind your own business.

graygray

Thanks for the feedback.

While possible, I think it is highly improbable that they are both marginally, yet sufficiently handicapped enough to qualify. And if they were, why wouldn't they both have placards instead of splitting just the one.

Other reasons include: both are physically active; seen wife run and jump, literally, into husbands arm; live on third floor. All negate broken toes theory.

Isis1

Thanks for the feedback.

While possible, I think it is highly improbable that they are both marginally, yet sufficiently handicapped enough to qualify. And if they were, why wouldn't they both have placards instead of splitting just the one.

Other reasons include: both are physically active; seen wife run and jump, literally, into husbands arm; live on third floor. All negate broken toes theory.
Where did you get your medical degree from?

graygray

How poignant.

I'm no doctor. I'm also not a man that gets in vapid arguments in forums.

Appreciate the feedback.

davidmcbeth3

Thanks for the feedback.

So, what you going to do? You could just talk to the guy...

CdwJava

I'd call the local agency and report it ... or, report it to HIS agency. You say that the police protect their own, but that is less and less true. Few officers wants to work with someone who is even a little slimy.

If they do nothing, oh well ... if they act on it, great.

A call to the local media along with a picture might work, too. Find a crusading media outlet and send them the info.

The alternative is to do nothing and let it be. You can ether take appropriate action or let it go, but there is no magical organization that will burn the officer at the stake even for falsely using the placard. If nothing else, the local officers will talk to him and he'll hopefully stop using the placard improperly ... if it is.

cyjeff

How poignant.

I'm no doctor. I'm also not a man that gets in vapid arguments in forums.

Appreciate the feedback.
No, but you do appear to be a man that feels that his observations of another's medical condition rises to the level of a medical diagnosis.

You don't mention what you have done beyond sitting at your window (and looking at the hallway) and steaming about it.

You haven't talked to the officer. You haven't talked to the HOA. You haven't talked to the officer's superior.

Those are your next steps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">