• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My neighbor built his fence inside his property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Se

What is the name of your state? AZ

Seems like my neighbor had his lot surveyed, found mine and his old fence built inside his lot about 0 to 2 feet(angled along about 100 feet) and then built a new block wall along the same alignment. He even asked and we took down my old chainlink so he could finish out the wall nicely. Seems like he just gave me the fence wall and maybe 75 sq feet. He is obviously OK with this but should I concern myself if he decides to sell? he obviously doesnt care and the possible new owner would be tearing down "his" own fence to move it. doesnt seem likely.

xylene

John Se said:

Seems like my neighbor had his lot surveyed, found mine and his old fence built inside his lot about 0 to 2 feet(angled along about 100 feet) and then built a new block wall along the same alignment. He even asked and we took down my old chainlink so he could finish out the wall nicely. Seems like he just gave me the fence wall and maybe 75 sq feet. He is obviously OK with this but should I concern myself if he decides to sell? he obviously doesnt care and the possible new owner would be tearing down "his" own fence to move it. doesnt seem likely.
That is a thoughtful neighbor, but what is your question?

John Se

but should I concern myself if he decides to sell?

but should I concern myself if he decides to sell?. what are the implications of a new neighbor

seniorjudge

John Se said:

He didn't give you anything.

I can build a fence anywhere I want on my land; it doesn't have to be on the boundary lines.

John Se

but should I concern myself if he decides to sell?

but should I concern myself if he decides to sell?. what are the implications of a new neighbor

do I need an easement or encroachment agreement?

averad

So, if he built a fence 4 feet from his house you would be entitled to anything outside the fence? I don't understand your logic.

If the house sold the new owner would have documentation showing what they own (including the property outside of the fence).

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">