• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

N-400 questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlywrites

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
Hello,
I read through the guide but still have a few questions on how to fill out certain parts of the citizenship application:

1) Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason? I think my answer would be YES, because I was pulled over for speeding. It was not alcohol or drug related - just me being in a hurry. I was fined $200. I paid it, earned some points against my license. So is my answer Yes?

2) The next question is "Have you ever been charged with committing any crime or offense?" Well, he wrote me a ticket for a fine. So have I in fact been charged with committing an offense?

3) Then "Have you ever been convicted of a crime or offense? I paid the fine, so does that mean I admitted guilt and therefore was convicted of the offense?

4) Information about your children: Does that include step-children? The guide says so, but I can't tell if that's only if you adopted your step-child.

And finally...

5) Information about my spouse's prior spouse: It asks for Prior Spouse's Family Name. Does that mean my husband's ex-wife's MAIDEN name, or her current legal name (she has remarried)...?

Okay, there is one more. I got my Green Card in February 2007. Married my husband, who is a US Citizen, November 2007. Based on this situation, do I file for citizenship in February 2010, or November 2010?

THANKS all! :D

evcalyptos

The most conservative advice (since I am not a lawyer) is to declare all citations and bring the evidence of their conclusion. The officer will appreciate that you tried to be as honest as possible.

All children is all children, steps included.

About the ex, interesting question. I used the convention First Name, Last Name nee Maiden Name. 'nee' indicates a maiden name.

The requirement is that you be a PR for 3 years AND married to a USC for 3 years. You can't naturalize til you meet both conditions, so you take the later of the 2 dates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">