• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change at divorce to remarry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I included in my divorce decree to have my maiden name back.
I am now going to remarry in Vegas but have not changed any of my id's back to the maiden name.
If I remarry using my divorced name, will my new marriage be valid?
Yes, it will be valid. Until you change your last name with the Social Security Administration its not a "done deal".

dovecat

Thanks!!!

My divorce was granted a couple of weeks ago and knowing I was going to remarry so soon - I hate to go through the trouble of changing everything to then change again within a month or two. I haven't changed it on anything yet.
I have had a lazy Christmas day and found this site so thought I would ask.
I will now read the wording of the divorce to see if it says my name IS now changed or MAY BE changed (thanks for pointing that out!)
I thought this was a simple site to ask questions and didn't realize it was also had people who feel a need to insert personal moral opinions (I do not usually do threads or sites like this)
I appreciate the answers received and it has helped guide me in the direction to go from here -
Merry Christmas Everyone! :)

ecmst12

Just like when you get married, your name isn't changed until you go to the social security office and change it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">