• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NAME Change/Expanded vistitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CanIWIN

What is the name of your state? OKLAHOMA

I have two children 11 & 12. I was never married to there mother,but do pay child support and see my children on a regular basis or visitation schedule that is. Ive asked repeatedly for more time & she doesnt allow me more time. Ive never given our children my last name & they have her maiden name. It didnt become a big deal until recently. Her husband carries them on his issurance & I have them on my issurance as well. I saw a prescription bottle where my childs name had his last name. She also created an email address where the email address she created had his last name. So now its an issue. Id like for my children to have my last name due to this. Is it possible now? & can i get more time because she doesnt allow me more time? Thanks

Last edited:

abstract99

I don't know if you can LEGALLY do it so I will refreain from answering that part. I do, however think that it would be extremely hard to change the name but you might have a shot pushing the issue of them using step-daddies last name. Furthermore, I don't know how old you are but if you have kids that age you should be more than old enough to know how to properly space sentences. I had a hard time reading it and there are a lot of people on here that won't even bother trying.

To add, she doesn't have to give you visitation. You can ask the courts for it though.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Go back to court and ask for more visitation time and ask for the children's last name to be changed to yours.

CanIWIN

abstract99 said:
I don't know if you can LEGALLY do it so I will refreain from answering that part. I do, however think that it would be extremely hard to change the name but you might have a shot pushing the issue of them using step-daddies last name. Furthermore, I don't know how old you are but if you have kids that age you should be more than old enough to know how to properly space sentences. I had a hard time reading it and there are a lot of people on here that won't even bother trying.

To add, she doesn't have to give you visitation. You can ask the courts for it though.
Sorry for the spacing issue. I was in a hurry. It states on the visitation form additional visitation is encourage an should be allowed. Four days out of 30 days isnt fair at all :(

CanIWIN

Ohiogal said:
Go back to court and ask for more visitation time and ask for the children's last name to be changed to yours.
Is this difficult to do? Do the children have to agree?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You would have to prove to the court -- in the absence of mom agreeing -- that the name change is in the best interest of the children. If mom has taken step dad's name in the marriage and the children have mom's maiden name and you have been adjudicated the father, you may have a good chance.
However there are no guarantees.
As for what is fair or what isn't in visitation -- the court decides that. So you go back and request more time with the court and again prove that it is in the best interest of the children to have more time with you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">