• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Peach

What is the name of your state? New York

I have been married for 17 years. My maiden name is "Mary Jones". When I got married I decided to take my husbands name "Smith". Therefore, my name on my SS card and my license etc. is "Mary Smith". As time went on, I realized that my husband's family was insane and having the last name "Smith" associated me with them and their insanity. After much thought, I decided that I no longer want that association! Now I do have children so I feel that I can't give up the "Smith" name totally at this time. What I would like to do is have my name be "Mary Jones Smith" and at a later time, like when my kids are grown, drop the Smith totally, being "Mary Jones" once again. Yes, I am still happily married and my husband thinks that it is an insult to him to want to change my name back - he says that the name is what WE make it, but his family, and any association with them is just too much for me. Also, if I do make this change will I have to ALWAYS use both names? Like can our joint bank accounts still read "John and Mary Smith" or will it now have to be "John Smith" and "Mary Jones Smith"? Thanks for any help.

Peach

Thanks for the info. I can't believe that I have to pay $210 to use the name that I was born with! Am I reading that right???!!!! Since that name is on my birth certificate, can't I just go to SS and DMV and have them change it?

JETX

Peach said:
Thanks for the info. I can't believe that I have to pay $210 to use the name that I was born with! Am I reading that right???!!!! Since that name is on my birth certificate, can't I just go to SS and DMV and have them change it?
Nope. When you got married, your LEGAL name changed. You would now have to either go through the legal process of changing it.... or include that change in your family court order (divorce).

ceara19

Since your husband is upset because he feels a name is only as much as you make, ask him to take YOUR last name and change the children's names also. Then, you will all share the same "family" name.

LdiJ

If you do go ahead with this, then you really should hyphenate it ie "Jones-Smith". It will cause you less confusion/hassle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">