• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

ChateaudB

I don't know if I'm in the right forum but none of the others seem to fit.

I am starting a writing career.
I do not want to write under my birth name, but instead a name I have chosen myself.

How do I go about using my new name legally.
I want to be paid under this name, rent, have drivers license etc.

I know actors use other names...who do I contact first to be able to use my chosen
new name legally.

I understand that I will have to notify creditors and etc....but I want the government to recognize this name legally...
and yes! I am a citizen. I was born here.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ChateaudB:
I don't know if I'm in the right forum but none of the others seem to fit.

I am starting a writing career.
I do not want to write under my birth name, but instead a name I have chosen myself.

How do I go about using my new name legally.
I want to be paid under this name, rent, have drivers license etc.

I know actors use other names...who do I contact first to be able to use my chosen
new name legally.

I understand that I will have to notify creditors and etc....but I want the government to recognize this name legally...
and yes! I am a citizen. I was born here.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

This is quite a simple process. You can, with just a little bit of study, and a good how-to book from your nearby bookstore, file a Petition for Name Change with the court. It's a short hearing.

The judge will review your documents, he'll say a few magic words, dance around the "Ring of Fire," and annoint you with the sacred oils, and introduce you to the gallery - - "Ladies and Gentlemen, I have the distinct honor and privilege to present [your new name here] to all of you. Now, go outside, snicker amongst yourselves, and point at her."

Just playing with you.

Then the judge will sign the order, and file it. From then on, that's your name, and the old name is forever dead.

Who was Samuel Clemmins?

Good luck, whoever you are.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited May 22, 2000).]

C

ChateaudB

Oh my... it's that simple!

Thank you! You are so funny.
Alas! If only Mark Twain hadn't already been taken; however, I was thinking more along the
lines of a Dr. Seuss. Just kidding!
Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">