• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Changes and Birth Certificates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

enjay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I had no idea where to put this but I guess this spot makes as much sense as any other.

We are in the process of having our son's name changed. The last name is remaining the same and all we are doing is switching his first and middle names around. The paperwork has been filed and everything should be completed in about 8 weeks. I know that I have to change his name on many things (passport, insurance, school) but do you have to file for a changed birth certificate as well? I'm wondering if the original birth certificate + the court order will be all he needs in the future or if it is necessary to have the original record changed.

CourtClerk

When I changed my child's name, I changed EVERYTHING that had his name on it, including amending his birth certificate.

The first birth certificate was sealed, the only thing accessible is the birth certificate with his new name... which will be needed to do all that official stuff when he grows up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">