• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Navy ADMIN SEP Gen. Under Honorable, Milpersman 1910-120

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N.Wolfcross

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Hello all,

This is my first post. And I have a few questions that I hope someone can shed some light on for me.

I was separated from the Navy over 2 years ago. In early 2014, I was being treated and receiving medication for an unspecified disorder, which turned out to be major depression. On Monday morning, February 10, I had some sort of panic attack. My command sent me to mental health. I was a nervous wreck, but I told them about what was bothering me.

The trouble was though, my command was getting ready for a deployment soon. And I was expected to go on the ship. My command tried to get me to go on the ship later that day. But I was still shaken, and convinced that shipping out again was going to make matters worse. My CO gave me an ultimatum, to go on the ship while getting treatment, or be separated. I was in the Navy for almost 4 years, and I didn't want to leave. But I also didn't want to do anything stupid. And before a could wrap my head around what was happening, I was processed out of the military the very next day.

I was given a General Under Honorable Conditions for adjustment disorder, even though my separation was non-punitive. The VA has given me a disability rating of 70%. I look at my separation papers time and time again. Wondering if what happened was right. It says that I should have been given enough time to overcome my deficiencies. And the Admin Remarks on my separation papers say that I failed to receive treatment when I in fact was. I just feel like I had no control over what happened to me.

I'm thinking about filling out a dd0293 to see if I can get my discharge upgraded. But I don't know if it's worth pursuing.

Does anyone have any experience in cases like this?

Last edited:

Silverplum

Hello all,

This is my first post. And I have a few questions that I hope someone can shed some light on for me.

I'm a disabled veteran that was separated from the Navy over 2 years ago. In early 2014, I was being treated and receiving medication for an unspecified disorder, which turned out to be major depression. On Monday morning, February 10, I had some sort of panic attack. My command sent me to mental health. I was a nervous wreck, but I told them about what was bothering me.

The trouble was though, my command was getting ready for a deployment soon. And I was expected to go on the ship. My command tried to get me to go on the ship later that day. But I was still shaken, and convinced that shipping out again was going to make matters worse. My CO gave me an ultimatum, to go on the ship while getting treatment, or be separated. I was in the Navy for almost 4 years, and I didn't want to leave. But I also didn't want to do anything stupid. And before a could wrap my head around what was happening, I was processed out of the military the very next day.

I was given a General Under Honorable Conditions for adjustment disorder, even though my separation was non-punitive. The VA has given me a disability rating of 70%. I look at my separation papers time and time again. Wondering if what happened was right. It says that I should have been given enough time to overcome my deficiencies. And the Admin Remarks on my separation papers say that I failed to receive treatment when I in fact was. I just feel like I had no control over what happened to me.

I'm thinking about filling out a dd0293 to see if I can get my discharge upgraded. But I don't know if it's worth pursuing.

Does anyone have any experience in cases like this?
To be clear, you had a panic attack on or very close to deployment day?

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights

I was processed out of the military the very next day.
At minimum, a Navy ADSEP action takes 15 days. And the service member must talk to JAG for it to be processed. So something is missing from your story.

N.Wolfcross

At minimum, a Navy ADSEP action takes 15 days. And the service member must talk to JAG for it to be processed. So something is missing from your story.
It all happened very fast. I went to Mental Health and talked with a doctor. After that I'm in front of my CO initialing papers. After that I was sent to TPU.

I never talked with any JAG. I was never told about talking to JAG.

Last edited:

SHORTY LONG

"My CO gave me an ultimatum, to go on the ship while getting treatment, or be separated."

You refused a direct Order from your CO. Count your blessings that you were not Court-Martialed. Moreover, you are receiving 70% for being disabled! Are you also after a 100% rating? Have you ever deployed before? If so, was it ever on a Ship? Have you ever been in the thick of things, "combat?" If so, for how long? Were you ever injured in the line of Duty (panic disorder does not qualify)?

As Shadowbunny pointed out, getting separated over-night does not happen; and from what you have disclosed up to now, you were denied your due process rights! Hence, if you can prove this, then you may well have a good chance in having your records changed! Their are many Veterans Service Organizations that have Service Officer's who will assist you free of charge. Doing this on your own in essence is futile!

N.Wolfcross

You refused a direct Order from your CO. Count your blessings that you were not Court-Martialed. Moreover, you are receiving 70% for being disabled! Are you also after a 100% rating? Have you ever deployed before? If so, was it ever on a Ship? Have you ever been in the thick of things, "combat?" If so, for how long? Were you ever injured in the line of Duty (panic disorder does not qualify)?

As Shadowbunny pointed out, getting separated over-night does not happen; and from what you have disclosed up to now, you were denied your due process rights! Hence, if you can prove this, then you may well have a good chance in having your records changed! Their are many Veterans Service Organizations that have Service Officer's who will assist you free of charge. Doing this on your own in essence is futile!
I was a Master-at-Arms, so once or twice I was in a hairy situation. But nothing that I would call as "combat". I don't know about pursuing a 100% rating. I've been out to sea before. But I spent a good deal of my tour as shore duty. I was even part of Navy Region Hawaii Honour Guard.

I don't know if it was due to the circumstances. But I didn't speak to any JAG, or anyone to inform me of my situation or options. All who I talked to were the doctors, and my command. I was literally processed to be separated the next day, and transferred to TPU to wait to leave.

If I was denied due process. Why would they do that? And what would I have to do to fix it? Who do I talk to?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">