• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCO got me, past SOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dncr

What is the name of your state? CA

Background: I have some old debts that I defaulted on years ago when I was having financial troubles. One of them was apparently sold to NCO, who started calling me a couple of years ago. Wanting to do the right thing, I made a payment arrangement with them and have been paying them monthly ever since. However, I've been spending some time on the creditboards forum and I think this debt is actually out of the statute of limitations at this point, although it probably wasn't when I started paying them. The account is no longer showing on any of my credit reports. At this point I've paid off all of my purchases, but it will take another year or two of payments to get ride of all the interest and finance charges and, frankly, I don't want to if I don't have to.

My question is: in California, can I tell them now that I will no longer pay them since it's out of SOL and not get taken to court?

FlyingRon

I've been told over and over again that the SOL goes off the date of FIRST delinquency.
Well it's the date the contract is breached (regardless of what you've been told over and olver).

The SOL runs 4 years from the date of breach, but by setting up a payment arrangement with them, you established a new contract and THAT is the contract you are in breach of now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">