• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NCP visitation????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcpmp

What is the name of your state? California/Washington.

Back again for more questions.
1. My custody order states that my childs mother is to have visitation from one week after school gets out till one week prior to school starting. The problem is that my child is not in school yet. When we went to court the judge made this ruling because I live in Washington and she lives in California and was looking at more of the long term. I looked up the 2003-2004 school schedule and school ends 15 June 2003. She wants to pick him up on 15 May 2003. I told her that she can pick him up on 22 June 2003. Do I have to give him to her when she comes in May?

2. My custody order also states that the recieving parent is to provide transportation and transportation cost for their visitation. I live in Washington and she lives in California, in the vicinity of my family. If she doesn' t come and get him for the summer and I decide to visit my family could she go to my families home and get him? I would be visiting my family for the sole reason of my parents seeing my kids not to bring him to her

snostar

1. Does the court order specify where the child will go to school?

2. You need to be available and have your child ready for pick up at the court ordered time and place. Why don't you visit your parents at the end of summer when your going there to pick up your child anyway?

tcpmp

Does the court order specify where the child will go to school?
No, I have primary custody during the school year and she has him for the summer.
You need to be available and have your child ready for pick up at the court ordered time and place. Why don't you visit your parents at the end of summer when your going there to pick up your child anyway
This doesn't answer my question. There is no specific date other than following the school schedule. The whole problem is that after the summer I have to do his school shopping and then he is in school and I really don't want to take him out of school to go see my family

snostar

The reason I asked is because, if the order states what school district the child will be attending, then it is that districts schedule in which you are to go by (regardless of whether or not the child is of school age yet). Unless, the order has other arrangements prior to the child attending school. Perhaps you should just type in EXACTLY what the order states!

BL

Ok 1 wk after school lets out for summer TO 1 week before school begins.

If they chose to pick up the child Later you have to let them. It's within the visitation schedule.You have to make the Child available.

However the Child must be returned when specified,one wk. before school begins.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
tcpmp said:
This doesn't answer my question. There is no specific date other than following the school schedule. The whole problem is that after the summer I have to do his school shopping and then he is in school and I really don't want to take him out of school to go see my family
You follow the school schedule for your school district since you have custody. So if she shows up a month before school lets out - she's outta luck. If she doesn't show up a month later, you have him until she comes for him. If you go to your folks with him in the intervening time, she can pick him up there.

Realistically speaking, shopping before the start of the school year is way overrated. You can get him a backpack before he ever leaves your house. Clothes - what you can buy the week before school starts is going to be too warm on the first day. Plus, as a kindergartner and a boy - he likely doesn't give a winged damn about what clothes he's wearing. Supplies? IF you even get a list before the first day, you still have around a week after school starts to go and get the supplies. And again - he's not going to care all that much what sort of pencils he's taking with him. Or crayons. Or glue.

Much more important is his relationship with his mother - and that's something you should be facilitating.

tcpmp

If she doesn't show up a month later, you have him until she comes for him. If you go to your folks with him in the intervening time, she can pick him up there.
Even though the custody order says that she has to pay for transportation cost. Essentially, if I drove down 1200 miles to have my child visit my parent and she came to my parents house I would be paying for the transportation costs and then I would have to pay again to go and pick him up. The whole purpose for a trip is so my parents can visit him not so I can bring him to see his mother. It is her responsiblity to come and get him it is not mine to bring him to her.

C

creditorsrus

She cannot pick him up earlier unless you both agree to it. However, she can pick him up at your parents' house. Now, is your question regarding the expense of taking the child from WA to CA? Because if you are planning to take him to CA anyway, and are upset that she doesn't have to pay for his trip to see her, then you need to grow up.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
tcpmp said:
Even though the custody order says that she has to pay for transportation cost. Essentially, if I drove down 1200 miles to have my child visit my parent and she came to my parents house I would be paying for the transportation costs and then I would have to pay again to go and pick him up. The whole purpose for a trip is so my parents can visit him not so I can bring him to see his mother. It is her responsiblity to come and get him it is not mine to bring him to her.
Go ahead and use that argument to the judge when you refuse to allow her to pick the kid up from your folks' house in July. Watch him rip you a new one. Enjoy the experience.

Really, that is being so incredibly petty. It's your job, as CP, to do everything rationally possible to encourage the relationship between your child and his other parent.

haiku

here is a plan....don't visit your parents at all, just have the ex bring the kid by during visitation....you'll really save then!
:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">