• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NDA good in Canada?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coytoered

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

A company wants to view my invention. They had 2 addresses listed, one in California and one in Canada. I was corresponding with the branch in California and the President signed my NDA. After more communication I found they now closed the California branch, and moved everything to the Canadian Headquarters. My NDA was signed by the President at the California address. Now he requests that I send my invention to the Canadian address.

My question: Will my NDA still be in force in Canada?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

A company wants to view my invention. They had 2 addresses listed, one in California and one in Canada. I was corresponding with the branch in California and the President signed my NDA. After more communication I found they now closed the California branch, and moved everything to the Canadian Headquarters. My NDA was signed by the President at the California address. Now he requests that I send my invention to the Canadian address.

My question: Will my NDA still be in force in Canada?
Just to be safe, I would have them sign a new NDA. However, it should probably be reviewed by a Canadian attorney first to make sure that it would hold up in Canada as a contract.

quincy

It depends on the language in the NDA and its scope.

It is important to note that the Uniform Trade Secrets Act is a U.S. act and does not extend to Canada. It is also important to learn under what laws your NDA will be governed - U.S. laws or Canadian laws.

In other words, I agree with LdiJ that having an attorney review the contract, to see to what extent it covers additional disclosure to the company in Canada, would be wise and is advised.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">