• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice! Received Small Claims Demand

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JPeas

What is the name of your state? California

I was at fault in a vehicle collision last September. The plaintiff is suing me for $7500. I had informed and forwarded a copy of the Small Claims demand to my insurance. The plaintiff had $2,300 medical related expenses. The insurance is offering $4,600, but the plaintiff refuse the offer because of unfair settlement.

Please help. In your opinion, what should the defendant do? I know the plaintiff is a well educated person and works in a respectable field of work. I don't know if $4,600 is really a fair offer or not.

What if I don't show up at the court? Would the insurance just pay out what the judge rules then?

Thank you!

ecmst12

And what did your insurance company advise you to do?

Here is the important thing - if you go to court and lose, your insurance will pay the judgement.

If you DON'T go to court and defend yourself and the company's interests, they might deny coverage for failing to uphold your duties under the policy.

So you need to do whatever they tell you to do to defend yourself in this suit.

Last edited:

JPeas

I forwarded the Small Claims Demand to my insurance, but have not heard from them. They will get in contact with me in due course.

Now, is there anything I can do to push my insurance to settle with the other party? I really don't like going to court. I had the feeling insurance company is not giving him a fair offer, but it's their practice to make the lowest settlement possible.

Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">