• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice to Contest a Speeding Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Amy35000

I was currently issued a speeding ticket on Minnesota State Highway 169. I was allegedly going 83 in a 65. The state trooper who issued the ticket to me said that he saw me at both 84 and 83, but he was going to give me a ticket for 83. I asked him to see the radar gun reading, and he said it was no longer on the screen. He then said that the road was too busy to show it to me anyway. I highly doubt I was going that fast - the highway is extremely busy during the day and I was traveling in a group, with the speed of traffic.

I called to get the amount for the ticket, $142.00, and the receptionist said that if I chose to contest it I would need to seek representation and that I would testify as would the officer.

My questions are these:
1. Do I have a case to argue being as I asked to see the radar gun and was refused?
2. Is it a big deal if the officer, a state trooper, was not wearing his hat? Someone told me that a state trooper issuing a ticket out of uniform is a big deal.
3. If I want to acquire records as to the last date that the officer's radar gun was calibrated, do I have a right to do so? If so, how would I go about doing that?

I am about 2 months shy of having this ticket be 3 years from my first ticket. So I'm trying to fight this ticket. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
~Amy

HomeGuru

Amy35000 said:
I was currently issued a speeding ticket on Minnesota State Highway 169. I was allegedly going 83 in a 65. The state trooper who issued the ticket to me said that he saw me at both 84 and 83, but he was going to give me a ticket for 83. I asked him to see the radar gun reading, and he said it was no longer on the screen. He then said that the road was too busy to show it to me anyway. I highly doubt I was going that fast - the highway is extremely busy during the day and I was traveling in a group, with the speed of traffic.

I called to get the amount for the ticket, $142.00, and the receptionist said that if I chose to contest it I would need to seek representation and that I would testify as would the officer.

My questions are these:
1. Do I have a case to argue being as I asked to see the radar gun and was refused?

**A: yes, you should have asked to see his real gun.
2. Is it a big deal if the officer, a state trooper, was not wearing his hat? Someone told me that a state trooper issuing a ticket out of uniform is a big deal.

**A: yes, it is a big deal. But not to the judge.
3. If I want to acquire records as to the last date that the officer's radar gun was calibrated, do I have a right to do so? If so, how would I go about doing that?

**A: yes, ask the court.

I am about 2 months shy of having this ticket be 3 years from my first ticket. So I'm trying to fight this ticket. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
~Amy
**A: oh so you have a previous record. The judge will want to hear about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">