• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help! Civil Case twisted into Criminal Theft!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ponies4kids

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I was told by a criminal investigator that charges of Theft over $1500 had been filed on me and a warrant was issued for my arrest. He said that I needed to come and turn myself in. It's over a horse that was brought to me by a man I met while showing horses to him and his wife that was said to be beginner safe. I buy and sell horses and agreed to sell his mare for him. He called and asked me if I would, I said yes so he brought her to my place after picking her up from the trainer where she had been for 30 days for a tune up since she had been turned out for months when he bought her. Since I had tried to sell them a horse and knew how thorough they were and the type of horse they said they wanted, I assumed this mare was exactly the type of horse that I specialize in selling. I asked him why he has decided to sell her and he said that it was because of her height. She was 15.3 hands. Said that he fell in love with her because of her disposition, she was very smooth moving and handled great but now realizes that he had jumped the gun when buying her forgetting that he needed a horse that was closer to 14 hands tall. I had just moved when he brought her so my computer was not set up yet which meant I did not have my printer in order to type a contract. Told him this before he brought her and he said that was fine, he wasn't worried about it. I rode her that night and she seemed fine and appeared to be exactly what they said she was so I listed her. We never had an agreement on what she would have to bring in fact when asked how much he wanted for her he said he just wanted some of his money back and to use my own judgement. She was here about two months before someone called to come try her. The whole family was new to horses and the daughter the horse was for was terrified of them since they had been to try a horse the weekend before that threw her. The mare did fine the day they came so they decided to buy her on a payment plan and asked that I ride her three times a week for them the next month or so until she was paid off so she would not go without riding which I agreed to. The paid $1000 down and the weather that week prevented me from being able to ride...another $1000 was paid and I was able to ride her...had a little trouble with her the first day but she ended up working o.k., the next day she was terrible! She bucked, drug me when putting on her bridle, thought something had to be wrong so I put her up and tried again the next day which ended up worse. I decided there was no way I was going to sell them this horse! I sell enough horses that I must follow the Uniform Commercial Code which obligates me to insure that a buyer is in no way misled or purchases a horse that I know has behavior issues so I cancelled the sell and their $2000 was returned. I asked the owner if he wanted to come pick the mare up and he said he did not want her back just wanted some of his money back so I had a man looking for a horse to use as a broodmare only so I sold the mare to him for $1500. I then took the $1500 and bought a gelding to try to sell the people, the owner of the mare knew about this. However, the people would not even come to look at the gelding so I told the owner that I would list him and chances were he would sell for more than the mare did. He said that was fine. I understand that I should have gotten everything from day one in writing and was wrong for not from day one but he could have picked his horse up at any time, knew what was going on, did not insist on a contract so in my eyes he is just as guilty as me. He has now gone to the investigator with the paperwork from the $3000 sell that had to be cancelled and I was told that I could either pay the man the $3000 i could have gotten for the horse immediately or theft charges would be filed. I told them that he was welcome to come get the gelding that was purchased with his knowledge for the $1500 which was gotten for the mare or he would have to wait until the gelding sold and still I was not in agreement about the amount he was owed because we never had a set price which he was owed. Said the gelding was not his horse and I should have went ahead and sold them the mare and let them worry about how she acted when they got her home since they had already tried her and agreed to buy her. That is not how I do business! I feel this is a civil case and the only thing I did wrong was not getting everything in writing. We had no set price for his mare, he brought her to me, I did not steal his horse and did not sell her without his knowledge so how is it they can file Theft Charges? I have not gone to turn myself in and suppose I will hire a lawyer but is there anything I can do legally to keep from having an arrest for theft against me????What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CdwJava

You cannot ignore or dismiss an arrest warrant without cause.

Consult an attorney ASAP lest the police show up at your home or place of business to arrest you. An attorney might be able to arrange your surrender and bail release so as to minimize the impact on you.

dave33

If you are arrested unexpectadly consult an attorney before you make any statements. This seems to be pretty complicated and what you think is a claim of innocence may actually be an admission of guilt.

ERAUPIKE

It looks pretty clear cut to me. You sold the mans horse then took his money and bought a new horse. That is considered theft.

swrdmbo

I don't understand why you did not give him the $1500 when you sold his horse.

I do not understand why you would buy another horse to try to sell for him. Your motives might have been good but they don't make sense to me.

I applaud you for not selling those people the horse knowing it had problems, and shame on the owners for lying to you about the horse. But I think you made trouble for yourself by not giving him the money from the sale.

ponies4kids

He was knew I was selling her and buying another horse to try to sell to the people. He lied to me about the mare and I felt bad for the people who planned to buy her, so I was trying to make things right with them by buying the gelding and the owner of the mare would also benefit from it. At the time I thought he was lied to when he bought the mare. Found out later that the lady he bought her from told him she was not what he needed. He paid $500 for the mare and had an agreement with her that if she did not work out after going to the trainer, he would sell her back to the lady for what he paid for her plus the cost of the trainer. So he was actually in breach of a verbal contract with her...when the lady called him because she saw the mare advertised online, he told her that she could have her back for $3000 or not at all!!! Also talked to the trainer since and he said the mare was dangerous and that he called the man and told him that (guess thats when the man called me to sell her for him). Said the man told him to breed her to his stud while she was there and he would just keep her. Trainer was never paid for the breeding nor did the man tell me she was exposed to a stud when he brought her to me! This is all a bad deal all the way around!

ERAUPIKE

He was knew I was selling her and buying another horse to try to sell to the people. He lied to me about the mare and I felt bad for the people who planned to buy her, so I was trying to make things right with them by buying the gelding and the owner of the mare would also benefit from it. At the time I thought he was lied to when he bought the mare. Found out later that the lady he bought her from told him she was not what he needed. He paid $500 for the mare and had an agreement with her that if she did not work out after going to the trainer, he would sell her back to the lady for what he paid for her plus the cost of the trainer. So he was actually in breach of a verbal contract with her...when the lady called him because she saw the mare advertised online, he told her that she could have her back for $3000 or not at all!!! Also talked to the trainer since and he said the mare was dangerous and that he called the man and told him that (guess thats when the man called me to sell her for him). Said the man told him to breed her to his stud while she was there and he would just keep her. Trainer was never paid for the breeding nor did the man tell me she was exposed to a stud when he brought her to me! This is all a bad deal all the way around!
How did you become privy to this information? Speaking of verbal contracts, you breached yours by not riding the horse as promised after you received consideration from the buyer. It doesn't matter what everyone else did in this situation, it matters what you did.

I have offered him the gelding or $1500 and he would not take either.
That is because he wants the selling price for the horse or his horse. You should offer one of those two things.

ponies4kids

$1500 is what I got for his Mare. And the mare was ridden after I promised the people I would ride her for them while they paid her out....that is how I found out that she was not what the people needed for their daughter. She did fine for awhile but it was not long before she went back to her old ways.

ponies4kids

The trainer called me directly because he found out the mare was brought to me to sell instead of home like he was told she would be. He is still owed for a breeding to the mare and wanted to know where the horse was. The lady the mare originally came from contacted me by email asking how I came to own the mare. Told her I was selling her for someone and that she did not belong to me. She then told me what the agreement was between them. All the information was voluntarily given to me by the two parties concerned.

ERAUPIKE

$1500 is what I got for his Mare. And the mare was ridden after I promised the people I would ride her for them while they paid her out....that is how I found out that she was not what the people needed for their daughter. She did fine for awhile but it was not long before she went back to her old ways.
The way I read it you didn't ride the horse for a week and then the problems surfaced.

ponies4kids

When it rains here the ground is so slick a horse can't walk on it without sliding. Also the Mare was 8 years old and if you can't let her go one week without being ridden and not have trouble, then she certainly does not qualify as beginner safe. I have been doing this for about 5 years now and sell well over 50 sure enough BEGINNER SAFE KID HORSES a year...I take what I do very seriously and am yet to hear that a horse I sold as a beginner safe kid horse was anything less than what I described it as being. I believe that everyone who dreams of owning a horse should have the opportunity to own one that is capable of making all their horse related dreams come true ... SAFELY!! I hear way to many horror stories because of the "horse traders" that are doing nothing more than selling a STORY! I sell horses, not stories! I don't claim to know everything, in fact I learn something new on a weekly basis. Like I said, I showed this man and his wife horses for three hours one day...he knew how I felt about beginner horses, he knew I was pickey and that I was not to proud to tell someone that a horse they were looking at was not a good match for them. I love what I do and think it's a shame that someone who I tried to help and was nothing but honest and straight forward with would do this. I am also proud to say that this will not change the way I treat the next customer or anything else about what I do....I will most likely refrain from selling horses for other people and if I do sell for someone else, you can bet I will have a very detailed contract before their horse sets foot on my place, but that is all I will do differently!

ERAUPIKE

When it rains here the ground is so slick a horse can't walk on it without sliding. Also the Mare was 8 years old and if you can't let her go one week without being ridden and not have trouble, then she certainly does not qualify as beginner safe. I have been doing this for about 5 years now and sell well over 50 sure enough BEGINNER SAFE KID HORSES a year...I take what I do very seriously and am yet to hear that a horse I sold as a beginner safe kid horse was anything less than what I described it as being. I believe that everyone who dreams of owning a horse should have the opportunity to own one that is capable of making all their horse related dreams come true ... SAFELY!! I hear way to many horror stories because of the "horse traders" that are doing nothing more than selling a STORY! I sell horses, not stories! I don't claim to know everything, in fact I learn something new on a weekly basis. Like I said, I showed this man and his wife horses for three hours one day...he knew how I felt about beginner horses, he knew I was pickey and that I was not to proud to tell someone that a horse they were looking at was not a good match for them. I love what I do and think it's a shame that someone who I tried to help and was nothing but honest and straight forward with would do this. I am also proud to say that this will not change the way I treat the next customer or anything else about what I do....I will most likely refrain from selling horses for other people and if I do sell for someone else, you can bet I will have a very detailed contract before their horse sets foot on my place, but that is all I will do differently!
I will not be asking you to sell my horses from prison.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">