• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help in filing for paternity!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ejdruckman

What is the name of your state? GA, but son and mother are in CA
I have a strange situation and I am looking for help. I want to try to establish paternity with my "son". The tricky part is that there is a chance I am not the biological father other possible fathers are not in the picture and the mother and I are now separated. I was engaged to his mother when he was born, on 2/17/04. His mother told me no matter what I would always be his father. I was told at hospital to wait to sign Birth Certificate or I would be responsible for expenses, the biggest mistake I ever made. I held him out to the world as my own. I supported him and paid for everything Mother and I split up after she got involved in drugs around 9 months later. She used the fact I was not on Birth Certificate to take advantage of me. Mother got so out of control CPS started investigating. She also told me that I was not biological father although she is not sure. I told her I was going to establish paternity and she sent him to the Philippines with father on 4/20/02 I have finally located mother in California and found out son is now living with her. I want to see son again and would love to be a part of his life. She wants nothing to do with me, and my concern is that I am not the biological father. Either way I want him in my life. What should I argue? Presumptive father? Can I use estopple? Any ideas just in case I am not biological father. I know that there are many exceptions to this. I am trying to save money for an attorney and want to try to establish paternity as soon as possible. These are the main issues there is a lot more to this. Can anyone help??

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
File to have paternity determined via a DNA test. If you're the bioDad, then you can file to uphold the rest of your rights - visitation, custody, etc. If you're not, then you have no rights and no claim to a relationship.

VeronicaGia

You are going to have to start by speaking with an attorney in GA, but realize you may need an attorney in her county in CA instead. Since she is a CA resident, my guess is that is where you'll have to file this.

Do yourself a favor, hire an attorney and start with a court ordered DNA test. Once you have the results and a competent attorney, you'll be able to think more clearly.

Another excellent website: www.deltabravo.net

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">