• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ak22801

Virginia.

A friend and I own and operate a small home remodeling/renovation company, Remodeling Brothers LLC. Recently we had a remodeling project for a house, where we did carpet, new flooring, painting, stairs etc. We did a great job, but only had one huge and stupid mistake, we never got the homeowner to sign a contract. Now the job is done, and its been about a month, the homeowner has lied to me dozens of times about when she will pay, and wont give me even an estimate on when she thinks she can pay. She even said "stop harassing me" when i asked when she thinks she will pay, and when I said I will talk to a lawyer she said "please dont threaten me" lol...can you believe that??!! Anyway I have come to the conclusion that she wont pay me. Like i said before, out of trust towards her, i never got a contract signed...is there anything I can still do?? I dont have a contract, but here is what i DO have.

-Receipts for purchased materials
-Estimate sheets
-Before and after photos of our work on the house
-Witnesses (my workers) and outside people who knew we did work on the house, and could testify that it really did happen.
-Time cards of work hours put in
-Also, about halfway through the project she gave me a check for $1,000. The whole project was estimated at 5k (we gave her an amazing deal, a previous contractor gave her an estimate on the same job well over 10k). So she gave the check, but then called me like two days later, and told me not to cash it, and then closed the account. The check is signed by her, to me, and after she "paid" me with it she closed the account and I never got the money. So I guess that could also be used as evidence.

Anyway I need any help or advice I could get. This woman tricked us, not only into NOT paying us labor, we have our OWN money that we paid to get the materials. I talked to some people that have worked with her before, and they told me she has done that multiple times, and never paid them for their work....basically a lot of bad stuff she has done to other people. I wanna make her pay for all the trouble and lying she has been doing. Is there a possibility I could do anything about this situation? Thanks everyone! i look forward to reading your replies!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">