• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need some advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

saint1415

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Brother in law (BIL) and my niece are currently at my mother in laws (MIL). BIL isn't married, but was in a relationship with his daughters mother. Now she recently kicked him out of their home and has been leaving her 13yr old son home from 6pm until 3am or later and had left most recently their 4 yr old daughter as well. BIL had left the home after they had an argument and subsequently she did as well. She has been having a few key "friends" over and have been going with them. Having been with these friends attitude has changed, rapid weight loss, and we're not positive if it's drug related but potentially could be with her most recent company she is keeping. Her sons step mom is local with his dad coming back local soon. Obviously there is very little we can do in regards to her son other than let his dad know what's going on. For his daughter what would your suggestions be regarding maintaining a safe environment when mom wants to visit her (risk of flight is our concern and potential additional people who might cause harm) and does anyone know any family law lawyers who would work with a retainer deposit and payment plan to assess custody and act asap?

Thanks everyone sorry for such a long explanation, but this is really a tough spot for all of us as I know most of you have probably seen in your experiences.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL

Brother in law (BIL) and my niece are currently at my mother in laws (MIL). BIL isn't married, but was in a relationship with his daughters mother. Now she recently kicked him out of their home and has been leaving her 13yr old son home from 6pm until 3am or later and had left most recently their 4 yr old daughter as well. BIL had left the home after they had an argument and subsequently she did as well. She has been having a few key "friends" over and have been going with them. Having been with these friends attitude has changed, rapid weight loss, and we're not positive if it's drug related but potentially could be with her most recent company she is keeping. Her sons step mom is local with his dad coming back local soon. Obviously there is very little we can do in regards to her son other than let his dad know what's going on. For his daughter what would your suggestions be regarding maintaining a safe environment when mom wants to visit her (risk of flight is our concern and potential additional people who might cause harm) and does anyone know any family law lawyers who would work with a retainer deposit and payment plan to assess custody and act asap?

Thanks everyone sorry for such a long explanation, but this is really a tough spot for all of us as I know most of you have probably seen in your experiences.

It's probably best for your BIL to come here himself. If he can't, he'll need an attorney (as you'd expect), and he can contact Legal Aid, the State Bar Association, places like that.

If he's setting up for a custody battle, an attorney is generally a requirement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">