• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor Caught Stealing Electricity - Criminally Charged With Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rooty1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

Neighbor was caught and admitted to stealing electricity from me. He has been criminally charged with theft. Prosecuting Attorney said not only was he stealing from me but also the power company. How can this be? I was paying his bill so the power company is not out any money. Does the power company have standing?

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

Neighbor was caught and admitted to stealing electricity from me. He has been criminally charged with theft. Prosecuting Attorney said not only was he stealing from me but also the power company. How can this be? I was paying his bill so the power company is not out any money. Does the power company have standing?
What are the connection fees for electric? Yes he was stealing from the power company. Neither you nor the power company have "standing" -- a criminal case requires the state (prosecuting attorney) to prosecute.

Rooty1

Neighbor Stealing Electricity

What are the connection fees for electric? Yes he was stealing from the power company. Neither you nor the power company have "standing" -- a criminal case requires the state (prosecuting attorney) to prosecute.
swalsh411 Is the power company going to reimburse you for the estimated amount of the theft?[/QUOTE said:
Thanks for the replies.

Will check on the connection fees - good call. The PA charged neighbor but it is unclear who has been named as a "victim". I will try to find out more information and compare bills. If I can determine an amount, I will then ask the power company for a reimbursement.

justalayman

was his connection before or after the meter? If after, I do not see any reason the power company would be involved in this. The theft was from you. If before, the theft was from the utility and not you.

Is the theft the only charge?

How did the guy get caught stealing power?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
was his connection before or after the meter? If after, I do not see any reason the power company would be involved in this. The theft was from you. If before, the theft was from the utility and not you.

It could be from both quite frankly -- OP's bill was higher than it should have been thus messing that up and how can the power company determine what was ONLY op's power? Second, if the power company is going to "credit" OP for any of the power to his house due to the theft -- well both would be victims.

Rooty1

It could be from both quite frankly -- OP's bill was higher than it should have been thus messing that up and how can the power company determine what was ONLY op's power? Second said:
Connection was after the meter. Only criminal charge was for theft. Neighbor got caught when power company showed up to run a new “legal” electrical line to neighbor’s building and saw my box had been tampered with. Neighbor had trespassed on my property, cut off lock, and rewired to provide himself with power.

Mass_Shyster

Your electric bill is broken down into several parts, some of which are flat fees. Like a phone bill that is X dollars per month and Y cents per minute. In this case, the bill is X dollars per month, and Y cents per kilowatt hour. Neighbor stole Y from OP and X from the power company.

OP, any chance you've got a photo of the cut lock? PM me if you do.

Rooty1

Your electric bill is broken down into several parts, some of which are flat fees. Like a phone bill that is X dollars per month and Y cents per minute. In this case, the bill is X dollars per month, and Y cents per kilowatt hour. Neighbor stole Y from OP and X from the power company.

OP, any chance you've got a photo of the cut lock? PM me if you do.
Your analogy makes perfect sense. No, I do not have a photo of the cut lock but the police report makes reference to this fact.

justalayman

I disagree that anything was stolen from the utility company. They suffered no losses due to the illegal connection. It would be no different than a neighbor plugging an extension cord into my outside outlet. I would be the only one damaged.

the problem I see isn't one of theft but of possible tampering with what sounds like utility property. If the lock was the property of the utility company and the box that it secured, there are other charges applicable but theft of power from the utility isn't one of them.

If the power company attempts to credit the OP some amount for the possible theft of power, it is not due to an obligation or legal requirement. It is simply them trying to be a good business. The OP is the one with a valid civil action against the neighbor and the state has a valid criminal action against the neighbor for the crime.

Rooty1

Neighbor Stealing Electricity

I disagree that anything was stolen from the utility company. They suffered no losses due to the illegal connection. It would be no different than a neighbor plugging an extension cord into my outside outlet. I would be the only one damaged.

the problem I see isn't one of theft but of possible tampering with what sounds like utility property. If the lock was the property of the utility company and the box that it secured, there are other charges applicable but theft of power from the utility isn't one of them.

If the power company attempts to credit the OP some amount for the possible theft of power, it is not due to an obligation or legal requirement. It is simply them trying to be a good business. The OP is the one with a valid civil action against the neighbor and the state has a valid criminal action against the neighbor for the crime.
The lock was the property of OP. The box is the property of the power company. The way the neighbor hooked up his power from inside the box created a huge safety risk that could have killed someone.

justalayman

The lock was the property of OP. The box is the property of the power company. The way the neighbor hooked up his power from inside the box created a huge safety risk that could have killed someone.
but a safety risk does not equal theft of power. It is the basis for several other charges but theft is not one of them.

and why did the OP have a lock on a utility owned junction box?

Mass_Shyster

The homeowner owns the box and the wires. The utility owns the meter, and any lock securing the meter to the box. Frequently there is no lock but there is a seal.

Rooty1

Neighbor Stealing Power

but a safety risk does not equal theft of power. It is the basis for several other charges but theft is not one of them.

and why did the OP have a lock on a utility owned junction box?
OP shut off power to neighbor's barn and locked box after neighbor starting intentionally using an excessive amount of electricity (left all lights on 24-hours per day, etc.) to drive up OP's bill and then rented barn to a 3rd party as an incoming producing business.

What other charges are appropriate for the safety risks neighbor created?

justalayman

The homeowner owns the box and the wires. The utility owns the meter, and any lock securing the meter to the box. Frequently there is no lock but there is a seal.
that isn't what the OP said. He said the utility owns the box.

So, how about we figure out if this is a "box" or actually a "meter base". It sounds like you are speaking of a meter base. There is a difference.

Just a hint stevef, I really know about this stuff;)

If it is a meter base, then we are still at a point of whether the connection was before or after the meter. I suspect it was before the meter if in fact we are speaking of a meter base. That would explain a lot. If the connection was before the meter, then yes, the utility company is the victim here. If after the meter, no electricity was stolen from the utility. As to any laws for cutting the seal; nothing I am aware of although there may be something state specific. I have not looked for any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">