• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor dug away at hillside

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aj_strait

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

My neighbor dug away at the hillside to widen his driveway. I own the property up hill from his. He dug away probably 70 feet long and roughly 8 feet deep. Now instead of a gradual slope it is a 8 foot drop off. I am worried that my land will erode into his driveway over time or with a heavy rainfall all fall down. Another worry is that someone could walk through there and fall off the edge. We have a setback of 10 feet from the property line which I believe he is encroaching on. What or can I do.

John Se

Check if he has a permit

call you local city planning and development office and check on their permit, if required. Do they plan on building a retaining wall? Have you wandered by and said hello, friendly like, and see what information you can get from them. You can also talk to the guys doing the work.

FarmerJ

As to a possible encroachment you would have to have a boundary survey done to your property in order to find out for sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">