• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor online pictures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Can I take any legal action for the pictures he posted?
I agree with quincy that the chances of success if you sue for defamation are extremely low. Just putting up unaltered photos of you or your yard, if taken from a place the photographer has the right to be won't be enough because there's nothing in a photo that meets the definition of defamation.

However, depending on PA's court decisions on the matter (and I haven't looked) the HOA might find the association's covenants to have lapsed and thus no longer effective. I assisted a client of mine that was the target of their HOA, though the exact facts are different in the case I handled. I wrote a letter to the HOA board explaining the case law and my opinion that they no longer have the power to enforce it. I also told them we would contest any fine in court and noted that if the HOA lost that suit, it wouldn't be able to fine anyone. The board took the letter to the board's attorney, I don't know what said between board and the attorney, but shortly after the HOA agreed to quietly drop the matter. You might want to ask a PA attorney whether under given the HOA's failure to enforce the rule for many years would lead to lapse of the covenants, thus effectively dissolving it. You'd also want to ensure that your lot does not violate any applicable ordinance and that it does not pose a risk to others. That's something to discuss with the lawyer, too.

quincy

probably not
Okay. So it sounds as if the neighbor was able to photograph your yard from his yard or from the street. And what he sees from his property or the street are trash cans and plastic jugs and a ladder hanging outside and a wire clothes line and a trailer and a shed and piles of dirt. Have you actually read the old covenant to see if your property violates the terms?

How large is your lot? Other than what you mentioned as pictured in the photos, does your backyard have some redeeming qualities, too (e.g., flower garden, trees, mowed lawn)?

You can consult with a Pennsylvania attorney, as Taxing Matters suggests, to see if the covenant is still enforceable and to see if any local ordinances have been violated. Or you could clean up your yard.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">