• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor rebuilt fence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

surveyormike

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

We recently bought a foreclosure property that had been vacant for seven months. Upon taking possesion of the property it has become obvious to us that in the seven months the property was vacant, the neighbor on one side took down part of the fence and rebuilt it (on the existing posts) with a different style. The rest of the property has a fairly distinctive type of fence and this fifty or so feet of different fence built on our posts is a bit of an eyesore. I have not met my neighbor yet and I'm sure this will come up when we meet. I'm not wanting to agree to what he has done and quite frankly I would like the fence restored to what it was. What are my options?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

drewguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

We recently bought a foreclosure property that had been vacant for seven months. Upon taking possesion of the property it has become obvious to us that in the seven months the property was vacant, the neighbor on one side took down part of the fence and rebuilt it (on the existing posts) with a different style. The rest of the property has a fairly distinctive type of fence and this fifty or so feet of different fence built on our posts is a bit of an eyesore. I have not met my neighbor yet and I'm sure this will come up when we meet. I'm not wanting to agree to what he has done and quite frankly I would like the fence restored to what it was. What are my options?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
On whose land is the fence? If it's your land, then you can put up the fence you want and remove his. If it's his land, you're SOL. If it's a shared fence then you should try to reach an accommodation. Can you put your style of fencing on your side of the posts?

surveyormike

Well, I presume that since the fence in question has been in existance for many uncontested years (probably 20) and that it clearly is a perimeter fence of my property, then it is my fence on my property. I haven't actually gone looking for the property pins yet.

154NH773

Well, I presume that since the fence in question has been in existance for many uncontested years (probably 20) and that it clearly is a perimeter fence of my property, then it is my fence on my property. I haven't actually gone looking for the property pins yet.
I'm sure you will receive many comments on this statement. My remark is that; A fence does not equal a property line, and there are many factors and court dates before you can receive any claim to someone else's property.

You better start looking for the property pins (or get a survey).

justalayman

even more important is justapal's question. It appears from the OP's statement that this was done prior to OP even viewing the house, let alone buying it.

If that is true, OP has absolutely no claim as they were not damaged. They bought the house with the fence as it is now. Their offer was based on the fence as it is now. If anybody would have a claim, it would be the bank as it might have reduced the value of the house. If so, the bank was injured due to the loss of money. The bank doesn't care. They are done with it and have moved on and so should the OP.

quite frankly I would like the fence restored to what it was. What are my options?
here is where the survey is critical.

If it isn't on your property, you have no options regarding that fence.

If it is on your property, you can hire somebody to return the fence to a style matching the rest of the fence, at your own cost, of course.

If it is a shared fence, I would guess that since the neighbor just renewed the fence that you can still change the fence but it would be all your cost.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">