• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbors accusations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motorcycle ride

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I started riding a motorcycle last summer. I have two elderly neighbors who claim my bike is too loud. Everytime I ride my bike, they call the police complaining about the noise. It has a current state inspection, and several officers started my bike and determined it was a normal sounding bike.
As I said, they called everytime I ride my bike. The police come to my home and informe me @ the noise complaint, listen to the bike and tell me It is legal. I contacted my local magistrate because I was concerned about the constant police calls. He informed me, since it was close to winter, just let it go and see what happens.
I recently rode it on a nice day and NOW several days later I received a site summons for RECKLESS DRIVING AND CARELESS DRIVING AS REPORTED BY NEIGHBORS!
I pleden not guilty and have a date in traffic court. The two neighbors are planning to be there. I do have a nieghbor who will testify in my defense, she was outside and witnessed me driving when the neighbor called to police. She did tell the officer I did nothing wrong.
What else can I do to protect myself? It seem I have no rights in the matter? I didnt know such a charge could be filed.
All the police visits have been for the NOISE, no one ever mentioned speed or reckless driving. For the record, I am innocent and feel I am the victim here.

Please advise

Jim_bo

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania
I started riding a motorcycle last summer. I have two elderly neighbors who claim my bike is too loud. Everytime I ride my bike, they call the police complaining about the noise. It has a current state inspection, and several officers started my bike and determined it was a normal sounding bike.
As I said, they called everytime I ride my bike. The police come to my home and informe me @ the noise complaint, listen to the bike and tell me It is legal. I contacted my local magistrate because I was concerned about the constant police calls. He informed me, since it was close to winter, just let it go and see what happens.
I recently rode it on a nice day and NOW several days later I received a site summons for RECKLESS DRIVING AND CARELESS DRIVING AS REPORTED BY NEIGHBORS!
I pleden not guilty and have a date in traffic court. The two neighbors are planning to be there. I do have a nieghbor who will testify in my defense, she was outside and witnessed me driving when the neighbor called to police. She did tell the officer I did nothing wrong.
What else can I do to protect myself? It seem I have no rights in the matter? I didnt know such a charge could be filed.
All the police visits have been for the NOISE, no one ever mentioned speed or reckless driving. For the record, I am innocent and feel I am the victim here.

Please advise

If it were me, first I would look up the statutes that are cited on the summons. I would learn all I could about the laws quoted and the statutes that give the neighbors the rights to file such a claim. After I beat them in court (I'm sure you will), I would file suit against them in small claims court for any and all expenses involved with your defense. I would use words like "malicious prosecution". You will likely loose just as they are likely to loose, but they have fired a shot across your bow. You need to return fire.

Like I said, that's what I would do if it were me... but I am a tactless jerk when it comes to these things.

motorcycle ride

Thanks Jim_BO
I like how you think!

I need some help,
where can I fing info @ PA statute PAVC ?
Thus far, I have hit a brick wall

cepe10

I wouldn't worry much with no one offical as a witness. Make sure to bring lots of evidence of the invalid complaints they have made. I'm surprised the police would even bother to entertain the complaint with a citation/summons...

§ 3714. Careless driving.

Any person who drives a vehicle in careless disregard for the safety of persons or property is guilty of careless driving, a summary offense.

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP2/75PA3714.html

The statute is both vague and overbroad... what "property" and what "persons" were in what "danger" is always good to bring up on this "fits all" charge.:)

FWIW, falling asleep at the wheel has been shown to be careless driving in PA courts...but below that level of neglectfull driving...idk...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">