• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's spinklers feeding off my water line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bloopy

My next-door-neighbor and I had sprinklers installed in May. I’m pretty certain their sprinklers are tapped into our water main.

- They have been running their sprinklers daily ever since to condition their lawn.
- We just started running ours last week, MWF. Not on this bill.
- Their water bill is unchanged at about $140
- Our water bill has gotten up for two billing cycles, July and September, payable every two months. It went up from about $130 each billing to $260. From about 10,000 gallons to 25,000 gallons
- We don’t have a leak. Our water meter doesn’t run when we don’t have water running.

* My husband just paid the bill last time without questioning it. He figured it was summer and the kids were messing with the hose and that I was actually running the sprinklers.

There is some other evidence that the sprinklers were installed poorly. My phone line was cut and it took a couple hours to repair that at the irrigation company’s expense. The other foobar was that some of the lines were buried shallowly. My neighbors punctured one of their lines when they used a aerator. The line was buried and less than three inches, when it should been at least six inches. I’ll be using an aerator next week, so we’ll see.

Assuming that their line is tapped into my water, what type of compensation should I expect? I can’t prove that we didn’t use more water. We have used about 10,000 gallons of water each cycle for years but did have a 20,000-gallon bill in March (before the sprinklers). We never figured out why. The May bill was 10,000 gal again and then we had 25,000-gallon bills for the July and September billing cycles.

I think I should at least get
- The lines corrected
- $250 to cover the water bill increases

Should there be any percentage of the installation taken off? We didn’t get the sprinklers installed by some guy with a truck “under the table” We paid the “middle price” of three estimates after deciding the lowest bidder was “sketchy.” Its a real, irrigation company. We do have a warranty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Go out in the morning when his sprinklers are running and turn off your water supply.
Then come back and ask questions (if they are warranted)

Bloopy

That was an awesome idea. Unfortunately, I overslept. At 4:45 am I just knocked over my alarm clock.

The company is coming over to check it out tomorrow (Friday).

IF I’m right, what can be done? What is reasonable as I’m going to have to talk to them tomorrow?

HomeGuru

That was an awesome idea. Unfortunately, I overslept. At 4:45 am I just knocked over my alarm clock.

The company is coming over to check it out tomorrow (Friday).

IF I’m right, what can be done? What is reasonable as I’m going to have to talk to them tomorrow?
**A: first give us the info based on ZIgs post.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Assumption that neighbor's sprinker is attached to HIS water. Suggested that he shut his water off and then see if the sprinkers work!:D

LeeHarveyBlotto

We didn’t get the sprinklers installed by some guy with a truck “under the table” We paid the “middle price” of three estimates after deciding the lowest bidder was “sketchy.” Its a real, irrigation company. We do have a warranty.
What did they have to say when you talked to them about these issues?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">