• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's visiting dog

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Spokane24

Well now - since your AMAZING invisible fence contains your dog so well, why would this be a worry? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
I'm willing to bet your dogs aren't as well contained as you think.
The road goes thru our property. They are very well contained.

Why is everyone so negative??

I would also like to mention that the same neighbors dogs bit a huge chunk out of my other dogs nose about 2 months ago and I never asked for part of the $100 bill. Guess I should have!

swrdmbo

Do you have leash laws in your community? I love animals and while I feel very sorry for the small dog I do not believe you are in any way responsible for the bills as these people let their dog run unattended.

Had your dog been loose and OFF your property it would be different story. I do not feel the dog lying in the driveway is a relevant example (although you have my sympathies) because we are YET again addressing something a dog did that was clearly where it was NOT supposed to be. In that case the dog owner was responsible for the damage the dog did.

I d not see where you did anything wrong.I cannot understand the attitude of the person harping about an electric fence keeping out " innocent children,dogs,wild animals,etc".My opinion, children should NEVER be allowed to wander around unsupervised, dogs and cats should NOT be allowed to wander wherever they like, and wild animals will not be stopped by any fence if they are inclined to get at something. You sound a little crazy on the subject quite frankly.

I do wonder about the road running through your property.How does that work? If the small dog was on the road and got attacked ( is the invisible fence enclosing this road area) then I do feel you are responsible for half the bill as this is public access , whether it runs thru your property of not.

The small dog should not have been allowed off the property without being on a leash, and if the attack took place on the road,the owner shares responsibility as well, that's why I say half. .

Last edited:

Spokane24

Do you have leash laws in your community? I love animals and while I feel very sorry for the small dog I do not believe you are in any way responsible for the bills as these people let their dog run unattended.

Had your dog been loose and OFF your property it would be different story. I do not feel the dog lying in the driveway is a relevant example (although you have my sympathies) because we are YET again addressing something a dog did that was clearly where it was NOT supposed to be. In that case the dog owner was responsible for the damage the dog did.

I d not see where you did anything wrong.I cannot understand the attitude of the person harping about an electric fence keeping out " innocent children,dogs,wild animals,etc".My opinion, children should NEVER be allowed to wander around unsupervised, dogs and cats should NOT be allowed to wander wherever they like, and wild animals will not be stopped by any fence if they are inclined to get at something. You sound a little crazy on the subject quite frankly.

I do wonder about the road running through your property.How does that work? If the small dog was on the road and got attacked ( is the invisible fence enclosing this road area) then I do feel you are responsible for half the bill as this is public access , whether it runs thru your property of not.

The small dog should not have been allowed off the property without being on a leash, and if the attack took place on the road,the owner shares responsibility as well, that's why I say half. .

Thank you! You said that so rationaly. Very good points.

ErinGoBragh

On the other side of the issue..

I'm on the other side of what most of you are posting.

I've seen invisible fences work well, when turned up enough, and when dogs had the right training.

As far as liability goes, it's OP's responsibility to keep his dogs in, not other animals out. However cruel you think this statement may be, if wolfie comes in and chomps on OP's dog, that's OP's problem. No liability there to rest on the shoulders of anyone but OP.

By OP using the invisible fence to keep his doggies in, OP is doing his duty, no matter how much some of you may disagree with the methods or executions.

Neighbor's visitors, however, allowed their precious little doggies to run around, unleashed, and whoops!- they (assumably) got chomped by OP's dog as a result of visiting neighbor's negligence.

OP is not legally responsible for bills incurred by owners who allowed THEIR dogs to run amuck. To keep the peace with the neighbors, OP could offer to throw in half, but he's not legally responsible to... nor do I really think neighbor's family deserves it, since they think so little of their own dogs safety to begin with.

mmmagique

I agree with this also. I am shocked that so many people think that when a dog is left to roam loose through the neighborhood, someone other than the owner should be responsible.
It's the neighbor's visitor's fault, period.

~Christina

ErinGoBragh

Just wanted to add one thing quick.. if you are allowing your dog to chase cars, you have some SERIOUS problems. If your dog cause an accident from chasing a car, you may be up you-know-what-creek without a paddle.

rowz

I am cranky & tired tonight so I am not going to be polite.

Who ARE these idiots who think that the party who has done all that they need to do to protect their animals from leaving their yard have any responsibility for some dumb-ass that lets their dog roam unleashed and unsupervised?

all the hypotheticals about roaming wolves and coyotes not to mention children [oooooh the children] is a bunch of crap.

As the neighbors friend wants you to pay for their stupidity and has the cojones to be nasty and rude about it I might just hint that I want them to pay for the just discovered damage done to your dog by their meandering mutt.

Of course since neither party has any evidence whatsoever of who do what to whom then I would just put it to rest by saying that as there is no basis for their claim I would blame it on a racoon, possum, red squirrel or whatever the heck else you have out there in WA.

There is one thing though......I was concerned with the part about your dogs chasing cars. I love dogs very much but of that behavior was anyting emotely regular I would not be watching my speed and would be aiming.....to miss. If I miscalculated.....oh well!

VeronicaLodge

so because its your property, whatever happens on it is not your responcibility? I think that may make it more your responsibility.
you are not giving legal advice, quit responding. OP ignore this poster, don't let him/her bate you.

they didnt see the attack and are just guessing and have no proof? you don't have to pay squat.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">