• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never asked for my computer and related items back...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitchelt

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it was the closest one.

I worked remotely in IT for a company for 8+ years, as you can imagine I acquired a lot of hardware. I decided to leave the company and have asked repeatedly for the materials to send it all back (labels, boxes, tape and so on...).

I emailed them, called the IT Director and the IT Manager and nothing.

It's been over 4 months...and I am no longer going to make any effort to return the equipment. I can sleep very comfortably knowing that I have done my best and will no longer lose sleep over it.

When can I say they have abandoned the equipment and I am keeping it?

Thanks!

Beth3

Personnally, I'd send a registered letter to the Director of IT stating that you are following up on your repeated requests for the necessary materials to return the company property in your position - and list all the items. Also state in your letter that if you do not hear from them by August 1, 2011, you will assume they are abandoning the equipment and you will dispose of it as appropriate. Keep a copy of the letter AND keep the signed receipt you get back from USPS that it was delivered and signed for.

If you don't hear from them by August 1st and someone from the company ever comes knocking saying you kept/stole company property, you'll have proof you made a very reasonable attempt to obtain a response from them about returning the items.

justalayman

When can I say they have abandoned the equipment and I am keeping it?
I wouldn't plan on that for a long long time. Pack the stuff up, put it in a corner of a room and leave it set until they ask for it back. Even using it is improper (could be construed as illegal actually in some situations).

I would document each attempt to contact anybody at the company and keep it in a log to show your attempts to return the equipment should you be questioned.

swalsh411

I would document each attempt to contact anybody at the company and keep it in a log to show your attempts to return the equipment should you be questioned.
And also blog about it daily and compile a time-indexed database where you can cross-reference whom you spoke to and what time in regards to what piece of equiptment. Also you need to record all serial numbers in a password protected zip file, copy all instruction books and warrenty information in triplicate, and store pictures of each item in two seperate safe deposit boxes physically serperated by no less than 500 miles.

Just send me a certified letter saying to either provide you with instructions on where to return it (and pay for postage) or you're keeping it and you should be OK.

xylene

This really depends on how adversarial your company relationship is.

Personally I think you sound a touch of being passive aggressive about this

asked repeatedly for the materials to send it all back (labels, boxes, tape and so on...).
They don't have to mail you labels to not be abandoning the equipment.

That said, I think that if you do as the other advisers say, you will be ok and you bases covered.

justalayman

And also blog about it daily and compile a time-indexed database where you can cross-reference whom you spoke to and what time in regards to what piece of equiptment. Also you need to record all serial numbers in a password protected zip file, copy all instruction books and warrenty information in triplicate, and store pictures of each item in two seperate safe deposit boxes physically serperated by no less than 500 miles.

Just send me a certified letter saying to either provide you with instructions on where to return it (and pay for postage) or you're keeping it and you should be OK.
While you want to make fun of the suggestion, there is a valid reason for documenting the contacts and attempts at contact.

Your suggestion may be completely improper. We have no idea as to any contract or agreement the OP and company may have. We also have no idea what the company has already said to him.

bottom line: if the OP doesn't want to box the stuff up and send it back, (which refusing to do is a childish act IMO), he needs to set the stuff aside and not worry about it.

called the IT Director and the IT Manager and nothing
and what? they hung up on the guy? Said to send it back? what?

mitchelt

Thanks for the replies.

Also, I am not passive aggressive...my previous boss the Director of IT is notorious for not following up and pretty much is the worse manager I have ever had. I left the company on super good terms and even stayed on an additional week.

What's up with the comment about me being childish? I am not going to spend MY money on materials to send the equipment back...why would I or anyone else do that? Do you have any idea how much it would cost me to send probably 6-8 boxes of equipment, insured across the country.

Oh yeah...there are no signed docs or arrangements with the company.

I guess I will just wait a year and then send an email to the President and IT Director thanking them for the computer equip.

And finally...why does there always have to be one person on a forum that insists on making silly accusations and assumptions?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
So you call the girl at the front desk or the dude working in shipping and ask them for the UPS number.

Inventory and pack the equipment and ship it to them. Or send it COD. :cool:

xylene

I am not going to spend MY money on materials to send the equipment back...why would I or anyone else do that?
To avoid hassles. To properly dispose of equipment from work which does not belong to me.

Do you have any idea how much it would cost me to send probably 6-8 boxes of equipment, insured across the country?
~$130 dollars

TheGeekess's ideas are perfectly sound.

Your being hung up over maybe 8-10 bucks for boxes and tape, which I am sure with even a modicum of effort you could scrounge, does make you sound petty and passive aggressive.

Your ex-employer has not abandoned their equipment because they didn't mail you tape and boxes OK.

LdiJ

To avoid hassles. To properly dispose of equipment from work which does not belong to me.

~$130 dollars

TheGeekess's ideas are perfectly sound.

Your being hung up over maybe 8-10 bucks for boxes and tape, which I am sure with even a modicum of effort you could scrounge, does make you sound petty and passive aggressive.

Your ex-employer has not abandoned their equipment because they didn't mail you tape and boxes OK.
I agree about the tape. I maybe don't agree about the boxes. It depends on the nature of the equipment and what it would take to safely ship it. It may be a whole lot more than 8-10 bucks worth of tape and boxes, and considerably more than 130 bucks to ship it.

To be honest, I really WOULD sit back and wait for specific shipping instructions if the OP doesn't want to be held responsible for the damage to potentially expensive electronic equipment. Insuring it does no good if UPS rules that the packages were not properly packed to avoid damage and therefore denies any claim.

I think that anyone who has purchased any electronic products that have been shipped is aware of the kinds of inserts and protective items are used in the shipping of said items. You cannot simply go out and purchase those at the local UPS store.

justalayman

mitchelt;2851228]
I am not going to spend MY money on materials to send the equipment back...why would I or anyone else do that?
I can think of several reasons why a person would. I can think of as many as to why they wouldn't.
Do you have any idea how much it would cost me to send probably 6-8 boxes of equipment, insured across the country.
well, that would depend on exactly where they are being shipped from and where they are being shipped to, how big the equipment being shipped is, how much it weighs, and the value of the equipment. Without every one of those items, no, I have no idea.

I guess I will just wait a year and then send an email to the President and IT Director thanking them for the computer equip.
I have a better idea: send a mass e-mail to everybody in the company telling them who you are, the fact you have left the company and you have [list of equipment owned by the company] setting at your house and need their direction as to how the company is going to retrieve or have it all shipped to them or, do they intend on gifting it to you as a going away present.

I suspect you will get a response from somebody.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">