• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Husband Adoption/Will Bio Dad Find Out (eta *or do i need to inform)**

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I definitely did not update court as they only need my mailing address.
I suspect that's not the case. Generally speaking, one must *at least* notify the other parent OR the court of a relocation. Often (and I don't know CO law - nor am I inclined to look it up for you), you must petition the court to allow relocation of the child.

There's a solution to that, too. It's called "common law name change." My kids used my last name from early on. It wasn't official but, eventually, schools accepted it. At some point the SSA issued cards with my name and, eventually, they were able to get driver licenses. From then on nobody ever asked for court papers.

Try it. Your daughter is old enough to be able to politely insist that she be referred to by your husband's last name informally and still use her old name where it's officially required until the change is accepted. When she's 18 she can go to court and make it official.
I love this. I appreciate your helpful advice and time.

I suspect that's not the case. Generally speaking, one must *at least* notify the other parent OR the court of a relocation. Often (and I don't know CO law - nor am I inclined to look it up for you), you must petition the court to allow relocation of the child.
I didn't petition and he never fought i because he *and his little wife* didn't want to have their own family.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There's a solution to that, too. It's called "common law name change." My kids used my last name from early on. It wasn't official but, eventually, schools accepted it. At some point the SSA issued cards with my name and, eventually, they were able to get driver licenses. From then on nobody ever asked for court papers.

Try it. Your daughter is old enough to be able to politely insist that she be referred to by your husband's last name informally and still use her old name where it's officially required until the change is accepted. When she's 18 she can go to court and make it official.
That's not going to work for minors now-a-days. The school won't change names without some sort of official documentation. ESPECIALLY in California.

You really haven't moved on, have you? That's rather sad.

ETA: I thought he & his wife have kids of their own - hence "their own family." Shame you've alienated his daughter from him (yes, she's also his - not just yours...)
Typing error, they wanted their own family and wanted their blonde hair blue eyed family. A girl that has kinky hair and hazel eyes doesn't fit their ideal family. Just assuming.

zddoodah

does my ex, who has not seen my daughter since January 2014, get a say in this?
Yes.

Also, when we go through with adoption, will support stop
Yes.

You'll need to retain the services of an attorney. Since your child's father is paying child support, tracking him down to serve him with papers relating to the proposed adoption should be neither difficult nor expensive.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is important because he has nothing to do with us. And didn't have anything to do with our son that died in 2017, sinxe

He and his now wife are toxic and I didn't want that around my kids (

He signed it. And he wasn't faithful either
You are toxic. You are pathetic. You are alienating a child from her other parent because you decided to daddy shop. Hope you get treated the same way he treats you. If he was married to you, he didn't have to sign anything you pathetic wench.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">