• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Landlord seeks advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The Dude

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I am getting ready to buy a rental home. I want to be a good landlord and all, so any advice on any common missteps by rookie landlords would be appreciated.

ecmst12

Hire a lawyer to custom-draft a lease for you.

Read your state's landlord-tenant laws at least 5 times before seeing the lawyer, and be ready with a list of questions for him.

Do careful background checks on your tenants, and require them to carry renters insurance.

Cvillecpm

You should be posting your question(s) on the Q&A or MrLandlord - join the discussions and other knowledgable TX landlords will assist you!!!

Andy0192

Do careful background checks on your tenants, and require them to carry renters insurance.
Quoting for Truth. #1 problem I see new Landlord's making is renting to professional tenants who know the laws better than they do.

All the other advice given is accurate & should be followed. You can either buy a little experience & advice up front, or you'll end up paying much more for your education on the back end.

I know one rookie landlord who thought she didn't need to worry about anything, because her tenant paid her in cash, for a full year's rent, up front. 18 months later, the tenant had stayed an extra 6 months, and had ruined her house, and left town without a forwarding address. The rookie landlord never even took a credit app, or verified the tenant's identity.

There's a million horror stories. Do your best to make sure you don't become one.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">