• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Neighbors Window

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

henx2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My husband and I built a two- story house in a new part of an established neighborhood in 2007. With recent economy woes, it took a while but finally someone bought and built on the lot next to us. The new house is a ranch that has a two car garage that is not part of the footprint of the house, in other words the garage sits in front of the house. The set back of 35' caused the entire house to sit on my back yard and because the house is large, 2400 sq. ft., it sits right on the line of the side set back of 11'. We have an inground pool and a fenced back yard (our fence sits in from the property line 3' so that we can control plantings on the fence).

Here's the problem. The new neighbors, by their admission, wanted a window in each side of their monstrous house and thereby put a window in the wall facing our patio, back door and pool. Because the house is right on the set back, it looks like the house is closer than it actually is. To make matters worse, they put all their mechanicals on this side and put a walk-out to their basement which directly faces our yard. Because of the walk out, the window sits higher than the privacy fence allowance (7') in our city making it pointless to put one up. We've planted several white pines in the 3' space between our fence and the property line, but it will take years for them to be an effective block. The neighbor wants to be friends with us but I told her yesterday that I feel that while they met all the "requirements" of placement on the lot for their house, no consideration was given to our privacy and our enjoyment of our property and that I don't want to be friends with them. She can't stand it though she admitted that the window situation was brought to her attention by the builder and they decided to go ahead anyway. I have no reason to be friendly to her and want to know if I have any legal rights. I am absolutely ticked off that while you have a right to do what you want on your property, the neighbor has no rights.

Did I mention that my master bedroom windows look straight into her garage? I mean no thought was given to being a good neighbor on her part but we're supposed to forget all that so that she can swim in our pool?

Is there anything I can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

henx2

Let me re-phrase my question... Is there anything LEGAL that I can do that will give me instant results and permanently block their view of my back yard and can I make them pay for this blockage since I have a right to a resonable expectation of privacy in my back yard?

Just Blue

Let me re-phrase my question... Is there anything LEGAL that I can do that will give me instant results and permanently block their view of my back yard and can I make them pay for this blockage since I have a right to a resonable expectation of privacy in my back yard?
Where did you get the idea that you have the "right" to privacy outside?

JETX

Is there anything LEGAL that I can do that will give me instant results and permanently block their view of my back yard and can I make them pay for this blockage since I have a right to a resonable expectation of privacy in my back yard?
Lots of issues here.

1) You do NOT have a 'right of privacy' in your backyard from your neighbors (or a helicopter or plane that flies overhead).
2) You can certainly build a wall or cover over your pool or backyard (assuming you have permit permission), but that would be done at YOUR cost not the neighbors. Of course, this will not be 'instant'.

Suggestion... Go to a local fabric store and buy LOTS of fabric. Might need to be 20 feet high... and as long as your yard is. Then, get a really long pole, the length of the side of your yard facing the neighbors. Tie the fabric lengthwise to the pole. Then get a local vendor to sell you some inflatable balloons, about 1000 should be enough to get started. Fill the balloons with helium. Tie them to a the pole and left go. Oh, before you do that, make SURE you tie the pole to the ground at the right height!!
Voila.... and instant 'curtain' from your neighbors!!
Oh, one more thing... be sure that you have enough helium and balloons to replace the ones that need it.

Summary: As long as your neighbors are within the local 'codes' (if any) and have proper permits (if any), there is really nothing you can do about their house.

cyjeff

Agreed.

I see no violation here.

I do see someone trying to control what neighbors do even though what was done was within their legal rights.

Withholding your friendship is juvenile ... especially when it comes with the caveat of "I won't be your friend until you do what I want you to do".

What exactly do you want them to do? Move the window?

FlyingRon

What makes you think that the fact that you have a pool should infringe on the adjacent property's land use rights?

henx2

You people do not get it, I don't think you can, unless you see the window.

It absolutely cracks me up that you people want to make it a "lack of tolerance" issue on my part. I REALIZE that people can see me in my backyard, even from a helicopter, but they don't have a 15' window aimed right at my patio, backdoor, sunroom and pool. I REALIZE that a house was eventually going to be built on the lot next to me, in fact I welcomed it because finally someone would be there to take care of the lot. I REALIZE that you have the right to build whatever you want on your property. And I guess that's what bothers me the most. No one ever stops to consider how your actions might affect others. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. You all are right, I can't do a single solitary thing about my neighbors new house and their lack of consideration for others. I will not be their friend because their actions have consequences and it seems to be what they want most, friendship. Call it juvenile if you like, your choice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You people do not get it, I don't think you can, unless you see the window.

It absolutely cracks me up that you people want to make it a "lack of tolerance" issue on my part. I REALIZE that people can see me in my backyard, even from a helicopter, but they don't have a 15' window aimed right at my patio, backdoor, sunroom and pool. I REALIZE that a house was eventually going to be built on the lot next to me, in fact I welcomed it because finally someone would be there to take care of the lot. I REALIZE that you have the right to build whatever you want on your property. And I guess that's what bothers me the most. No one ever stops to consider how your actions might affect others. Just because you can do something does not mean you should. You all are right, I can't do a single solitary thing about my neighbors new house and their lack of consideration for others. I will not be their friend because their actions have consequences and it seems to be what they want most, friendship. Call it juvenile if you like, your choice.
So, your time frame is to be friends with them in a few years when the tree grows?

You know, it might be more effective to stomp your feet and hold your breath!

Alex23

You could have complained during the approval phase.

If you and your family spend enough time outside staring into the neighbor's window, they might consider putting privacy curtains up.

Consider getting a CCTV system. Place the camera on one side of your house so that it has a view of your deck, pool, and neighbor's window. They might want privacy from that, too.

Get an outdoor yard lamp. Place it right in front of their view. Leave it on all night. That might prompt them to get some curtains.

henx2

If you REALIZE all of these things...Why are you here asking if you can make the neighbor pay? :confused:

I guess because I was fantasizing that someone out there might know something about the law that I didn't already know. I was wrong. See what I get for dreaming?

henx2

So, your time frame is to be friends with them in a few years when the tree grows?

You know, it might be more effective to stomp your feet and hold your breath!

I don't intend to ever be friends with them. And if I thought stomping my feet would get that window bricked in, I would. Again, what you may see as juvenile does not bother me. Don't judge me until you walk a mile in my shoes.

henx2

You could have complained during the approval phase.

If you and your family spend enough time outside staring into the neighbor's window, they might consider putting privacy curtains up.

Consider getting a CCTV system. Place the camera on one side of your house so that it has a view of your deck, pool, and neighbor's window. They might want privacy from that, too.

Get an outdoor yard lamp. Place it right in front of their view. Leave it on all night. That might prompt them to get some curtains.
Thank you for actually trying to see this situation from my point of view. No, I won't get a CCTV, no I won't stand and look in their window and yes, I may sound like a baby, but again, walk a mile in my shoes and see if it wouldn't bother you. And no they don't have curtains. They have blinds that are always open.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't intend to ever be friends with them. And if I thought stomping my feet would get that window bricked in, I would. Again, what you may see as juvenile does not bother me. Don't judge me until you walk a mile in my shoes.
Excellent suggestion. Walk a mile - then you won't see the window! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">